Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking at GPS - Need input

Old 08-05-2002, 04:18 PM

Default Looking at GPS - Need input

I am looking to get a GPS for the upcoming season and need some input from folks who have used them in the past.

The first question is brand - who makes good ones and who makes bad ones?

The second question is features - how much memory is enough, is mapping capabilities worth the money, do the CD-ROM maps actually show enough detail to be useful?

What accessories are a "must" and which ones just look good in the catalog?

Anything else I should know would also be helpful. I was hoping to keep the cost between $200-$300, but could spend more if there is good reason.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking at GPS - Need input

It would be great for finding that exact same trail intersections or that exact same tree a mile or two into the woods. That way, you wouldn't have to be leaving markers in the woods for everyone else to follow!

I was thinking about getting one, because this one place I go (about a mile and a half in) I can get to in the dark, but I get turned around on the way out almost every time! I keep forgetting my compass!

<font color=orange>Go #20!</font id=orange>
Old 08-06-2002, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I could talk my wife into it...I would buy the new Garmin Rino. These units have a 2 way radio built in. And if other users in your group have them, it will show where they are at on your GPS.

Currently I have a Garmin 12 and I have never had a problem with it. My dad has a garmin Etrex, I think that is what it is. It is yellow, he has never had any problems either.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 08-06-2002, 11:07 AM

Magellan and Garmin make very good equipment. I use the Garmin 12 and it is fine. My parents have a higher end Magellan and I actually prefer the Garmin (I like the little path/road indicator). They are totally awesome when you are traveling the ocean looking for channel markers.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:21 AM

Garmin E-Trek (The yellow one)
I got mine last Christmas and love it. It is very simple to learn to use and unless you really need the maps, it's a great unit.
I bought the video for it and it sucks, in my opinion. The best thing you can do is practice with it, take a walk around your neighborhood and start marking waypoints. (It's unreal how far we've came since the compass.)It will tell you how far from your house you are, your average speed, elevation, and how many minutes it will take you to get back etc.
To sum it up they are very simple to work if you just practice with it. They are around $100.00
I hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:27 PM

I have the Garmin GPS 12 and it is a great unit. Very powerful with a lot of options, maybe too many. The eTrex is also very good and is simpler to use but doesn't have as many features as the 12 does.

If you are a casual user (hunter/fisherman) then almost any of the units on the market will be more than powerful enough. You just need to determine which whistles and bells you would like.

I have the National Geographic CD-ROM for Washington state. It has all the USGS topographic maps for the state in 1:24,000 scale which is pretty detailed. It is powered by the TOPO! software and cost about $100. It is also much more detailed than the maps in my printed version of the DeLorme Gazateer.

Edited by - The Mouse on 08/08/2002 00:29:28
Old 08-11-2002, 08:31 PM

I've just recently purchased the Garmin e-Trex Legend (blue one)and been trying it out creating waypoints, tracks, routes, etc.. I am finding it easy to use. It is accurate to about 50ft so you will not find yourself following the directions on the screen until you trip over your stand. I have found that when in the woods it tends to lose reception sometimes, which is a bit frustrating. It was very easy to conect to my desktop and sync with the maping software.

Anything has to be better than scanning the woods at 4am with a flashlight for those little reflectors.

Old 08-13-2002, 08:21 AM
ewc

If you hunt out of a boat, you can't beat the Lowrance models. Built-in map of the world - showing waterways, rivers, and lakes. Plus roads and all that other stuff. Run in fog or night and know where the banks are. I've got the Global Map 2400 (boat mounted) and the Global Map 100 plus (hand-held). The software give you extra detail for your maps. Both units are well worth the money.