Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

gps q's

Old 11-24-2004, 02:59 PM

Default RE: gps q's

Not so sure about the post stating that a 100 dollar gps is as accurate as a 300 dollar GPS. I know the GPS manafacturers are alway updating their firmware to increase and strengthen their reception. I know some of the less expensive models do not get a signal where my Meridain Gold gets a signal. Accuracy doesn't mean anything if you can't get a signal.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

The better units (larger/$) have larger antennas and will lock onto more satellites, more quickly than the cheaper models. Pay a little extra, a get one you'll use for a lifetime. I like the Magellan Sport series.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Ecroto

Not so sure about the post stating that a 100 dollar gps is as accurate as a 300 dollar GPS. I know the GPS manafacturers are alway updating their firmware to increase and strengthen their reception. I know some of the less expensive models do not get a signal where my Meridain Gold gets a signal. Accuracy doesn't mean anything if you can't get a signal.
Let me clarify. Your right accuracy doesn't mean a thing if you can't get a signal. No matter what brand you get Magellen, Garmin whatever, if you want to get the best signal look for a unit that has a quad helix antenna. The garmin etrex line and some of the cheaper Magellens use what they call a patch antenna. Under tree cover the patch antenna has a harder time picking up good sattelite reception. The Meridian Gold is an excellent unit, a little on the bulky side for me but a great gps. When you can get good reception all of the gps units recieve the same information from the overhead satellites. The goverment unscrambled the gps signals back in 2001 which made the consumer grade gps much more accurate but still not as accurate a signal as the one that the military can recieve. That being said the $100 gps is just as capable as the $300 unit to process the available signal and triangulate your position. Can't tell you about Magellen but the the last few firmware upgrades for the Garmin's were not to increase accuracy but to speed up lock time on the satellites. Garmin and Magellen are both good companies and you can't go wrong buying either gps its just like the Ford vs. Chevy thing. Stay away from the Cobra gps units though. I've played with several and they were all junk.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:20 PM

Thank you for the correction, The new firmwares don't improve accuracy but do help get a quicker stronger lock on the available signal. Nothings more frustrating than stading in the woods waiting for your GPS to lock on to a signal. Not to beat a dead horse but I've never had a problem gettng a signal with my meridain gold, i can even get several satalites from inside my house. Really I don't work for Magellan but am just impressed with the product I bought.