Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Cabelas Outfitter Berber, MT050, or Super Slam >

Cabelas Outfitter Berber, MT050, or Super Slam

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cabelas Outfitter Berber, MT050, or Super Slam

Old 11-15-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Cabelas Outfitter Berber, MT050, or Super Slam

I am in the market for a cold weather deer hunting parka to be used only for deer hunting. I get cold easy, so its gotta be toasty. I don't deer hunt in the rain because I would rather be shooting ducks in these conditions, so water proof is not required. I also want ultimate quiteness when moving around in the tree stand.

I am considering the Cabelas Outfitter Berber Fleece with Windstopper and 100 grams of Thinsulate insulation. I know this stuff is quiet, but 100 grams may not be warm enough. I was told the Windstopper was basically Gore-Tex without the seams sealed, so it should keep your butt dry if the tree stand is wet.

Also considering the MT050 Extreme Whitetail with 200 grams in body, 150 in sleeves and 150 in bibs. I am sure this stuff is good, but not sure how quiet it is.

The Super Slam Elite Fleece looks good to. 150 grams in body, 100 in arms, 70 in lower arms and 100 in bibs. This may not be warm enough, but I bet the Nappy Fleece is quiet and comes with Dry Plus as a bonus.

Anyone used these products and any recomendations? They are all close in price.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:19 PM

Default RE: Cabelas Outfitter Berber, MT050, or Super Slam

I don't mean to muddy the waters, however, if quiteness one of your pre-requisites, then I would recommend wool. I have purchased the Weatherby weatherproof wool and I have found it to be more quiet than any of the Cabela's items that you have mentioned including their outfitter wool series. The dry plus lining is very noisy. If you layer (base & middle) well, then I think that the combination will be hard to beat in terms of quietness, comfort, and especially warmth.

Regards,

GSjohnny
Old 11-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas Outfitter Berber, MT050, or Super Slam

I've had the Super Slam Dry-Plus fleece pullover jacket and pants for 8 years and would recommend it to anyone. I've sat onstand in cold weather, with just a sweatshirt and sweatpants underneath, in some nasty weather and never got wet or cold. The fleece is very quiet and is not bulky. Its been the best 200 bucks I've spent on hunting clothing.