Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Polaris 700 H.O.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:32 AM

Default RE: Polaris 700 H.O.

I have a Sportsman 500. I have no experience with the 700.My 500 has been a good 4 wheeler with some problems.My main gripe is Polaris's Customer Service. After dealing with them a couple times since 1997 I will NEVER buy another Polaris.Go with a Honda like Soark said.If they (Polaris)don't worry about or willing to help their customers I'll take my money eleswhere.Unless you're getting a extreme sweet deal I would pass being it a Polaris.I use to praise Polaris until the last run around I got form them.Never again.
Now that is something i used to never think you would say!!
ruger you are coming around!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your going to be grunting it and pulling heavy loads then buy yourself a Honda!! Also from personal experience I would want the ability to go to manual transmission & a true LOW GEAR for the heavy work.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

BTW the Polaris is a decent bike and really has a nice ride. However when it is put to heavy work ie: like hauling a moose out of muskeg or loaded down it losses ground to others quickly. Also the thing I don't like is some design flaws, my 95 sportsman has the starter on the bottom of the machine, if you use it in water this must be drained immediately or you'll require a new starter which isn't real cheap. Pulling the plugs is a bear, the counter balance oil change could be easier, etc! The motor is built for high end not low end and if you use like I use a ATV you'll require motor work...I haven't b/c as stated this bike is just for riding but do hunt with 2 buddies that have needed rebuilds on Polaris 400 and 500 HO with not many miles on them! My Honda has 2800 miles on it and other than changing oil/plugs/tires/a few CV boots..gas and go has been my experience!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

I own a 200 Polaris 500 Sportsman HO. My Bestfriend and hunting partner owns a 600 & 700. He previously owned a 500 I believe a 1997 model before they had the HO version and engine braking system. Neither of us have had any major problems or costly repairs. I have had to put a new drive belt on mine. The belt cost $40 and I did it myself. I have also owned previuosly a Honda 300 FourTrax 4X4. The front CV joints were going out about every 600-700 miles. I understand this problem has been corrected. I believe Polaris to have one of the best atv's on the market. I also like the new Honda's of larger size. I wouldn't say that you need a 700 but I wouldn't go below a 500 if buying a Polaris. The 700 has plenty of power and can handle a lot of towning and hauling. I would take your friend up on his offer if the price is fair.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote]

Now that is something i used to never think you would say!!
ruger you are coming around!!!
[/quote]

Hey Soark, I know how you feel hearing this from me. I had the same feeling when you admitted about Ruger's.I doubt if I'll need to get another 4 wheeler for several years. When I do it will be a Honda.Mines a 1997 and only has 300 hours on it.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I got my ATV about a year ago, I visited with the mechanics about which ones were the most realiable. The dealership sold Kawasakis, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki (sp?), and Polaris. Everyone was in agreement that a Yamaha and a Honda were the most reliable, at least in their opinion. But they all make good machines. Polaris seems to outnumber the other brands around here 2 to 1.

I got a Yamaha Grizzly 660. Here's what I like:
[ul][*] Hi/Low automatic transmission - When you've got your hands full or are getting on and off frequently, it's nice not to have to shift gears. It doesn't give up any power to a manual. You are always running at optimal RPM and speed.[*] Selectable 4WD - I don't need to run in 4wd all the time, so I can turn much sharper when it is kicked out.[*] Lights - All my front lights are below the front cargo rack. So I can still drive with my high beams on when I have something sitting on the front. I have noticed some of the Polaris have the high beam on the handle bar. Sitting a gun or something else up there blocks the light back in your face.[*] Liquid Cooled Engine - If your not going very fast, the engine will stay much cooler. Our old Honda Big Red is air cooled. Very much idling and your legs get real hot, real quick.[*] Cargo Capacity - We feed tub supplements (100 lbs. each) and cubes (50 lbs. sacks). Its nice to be able to get several at a time stacked on there, so I don't have to go back to the barn and refill as often.[*] Independent Suspension - It makes the ride a lot smoother. When you bump over stumps and other objects that you didn't know were there, it takes some of the jar out of it. Some ATV's just have independent front suspension. I wouldn't get anything that doesn't have independent front AND rear suspension.
[/ul]
I don't know that I have that many dislikes. The oil filter was difficult to change at first, but I've got the hang of it now.

Regardless of the brand, these are some features that I recommend considering in and ATV.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:01 PM

I have had great luck with my 700 so far lots of power. It has 165 miles on it and is the camo version, I bought it brand new and dont have a place to ride anymore. I would sell it if anyone is interested. Good Luck this fall
Old 11-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Spike

I did quite a bit of research on a variety of ATV's a few months ago before purchasing one. In the end, what you are going to do with it should be the determining factor although it wasn't for me. My findings: Honda for reliability and quietness. Polaris 700: too heavy. Bombardier: No way! Yamaha: Maybe. My long time dealer friend said, "buy you a 3-400 cc Kawasaki 4X2. That is all you need." I said thanks but I want that big machine over there. I bought a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 cc 4X4 with winch. Do I need all that machine? No, but it has been a blast so far. I climb logs, pull logs, run steep hills and creek bottoms and it is AWESOME baby!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

north texan,

you just described a polaris except for the fact you left out TRUE 4wheel drive. which a lot of 4wheelers dont have. and most ones that are TRUE 4wheel drive dont have shift on the fly like polaris does.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

most ones that are TRUE 4wheel drive dont have shift on the fly like polaris does.
Polaris has a belt drive that can't be shifted manually.The honda is the only automatic that can be shifted manually as well as automatically.

Quick Reply: Polaris 700 H.O.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.