Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Good affordable Binoculars

Old 08-20-2004, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Good affordable Binoculars

This question has probably been asked a thousand times before but, as I am new here, I will ask it again:

What is a GOOD set of binoculars that a workingman could afford?

I had a chance to look through Swarovski last night, and that was one of the most enjoyable experiences I’ve ever had. The problem is, Cabela’s sells those for ~$1300, which is out of my price range.

I need a good pair for classing elk out west. I have Tasco's now, but am convinced they are not the answer. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good affordable Binoculars

I looked through a bunch at the last hunting show I went to last year. Without a doubt the high end stuff ( Swaro, Zeiss Etc) is way better. But I was impressed with the Pentax ones for less than half the price of the premium stuff. Also the Leupold ones were again less than half the price and still not bad at all.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pentax, Nikon,Alpen,Sightron,Leupold,Browning,Bushnell,Eag le Optics,Zeiss Conquest and other brands I just don't have room to mention. The new Zeiss Fl which is supposed to be cheaper then their high end binos take your pick . I would say a 8x42 will cover all your needsor a light 8x30 . Look in classified for the highend binos or EBay. WWW.Eagleoptics.com will give excellent advice on finding something. Good Luck
Old 08-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

I get there are a lot of decent ones out there, but if you had to pick one...
Old 08-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

200-375 dollar range..Sightron SIII have a pair and they are outstanding almost as good as my 8x42 Leicas but lighter which i like. Picked them up for 249 on Ebay. Leupold Wind River Pinnacle would be next choice and after that Bushnell Elite all 8x42
375-500 Pentax SP 8x43 ,Eagle Optics Platinum 8x42

Eagle optics will send you Binos on a 30 day evaluation to test out and your return them before 30 days unharmed and you get your money back. Your eyes may be different then mine so it is up to you to decide on which glass looks the best at these price points.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pair of 8 x 42 Bushnell Legend and found they were very nice for the price. I used them last year for deer hunting and found they worked very well..... I had also considered the Bausch & Lomb Discoverer with the rainguard but decided to go with the legend because of the size. These are two brands of binoculars you might want to look at. Good luck....
Old 08-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use several Pentax binos and find them to be a good value( models are bit heavy though). I also have a pair of compact Bushnell Legend 9x25 that are really quite impressive for what I paid.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:44 PM

Buy binos that are comfortable in your hands as well as hanging around your neck. Hunting binos need to have a WIDE field of view. Stay away from mini or compact models- too narrow field of view and tough to hold steady. As in rifle scopes, buy the best optics you can afford. They will last a lifetime if you take care of them. Always ask to take the binos outdoors for a test view. Indoor lighting does terrible things to decent optics.

Take a look at Swift. They are held in high regard in birding circles- and some birders are neurotic about their optics. I've had the Swift Audobon 8.5 x 44s for years. A bit large but they have excellent brightness, great field of view and clarity, rivaling Swarovski. They have a new version that is now waterproof, these will be my next binos. Take a look at: http://www.swift-optics.com/

The Pentax 8.5 x 42's are very good also. Nikon makes a good product. Yes Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss are expensive, for good reason. But with a little research you will find a nice set of binos for a decent price. If you need more info take a look at: http://betterviewdesired.com/ Good luck
Old 08-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Forgot about Swift binos that new Audobon looks awesome..will have to find one somewhere and look thru it.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:52 PM

I read a review at betterviewdesired.com that said the new Audobons are even better than the old ones. I have the old ones and they are very good, the new ones should be awesome. Incredible brightness and clarity, excellent field of view. I've done a lot of side-by-side comparing with some of the big names and can barely see any difference- then I look at the price tag! I keep wanting an excuse to spend big money on a new set of binos but my old Swifts don't make it possible. A real value!!!

Quick Reply: Good affordable Binoculars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.