Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

summit viper or tree lounger?

Old 08-14-2004, 09:38 PM

Default summit viper or tree lounger?

I know that I recently posted about the tree lounger. I have narrowed my search down to these two. I am wondering if the bar system that the tree lounger is better than the cable system on the viper.. I am not the greates with heights so i am looking for the safest stand, one that is fairly light and one that will last a few years. Can anyone recommend one to me. Thanks in advance!

Jon
Old 08-14-2004, 10:42 PM

Default RE: summit viper or tree lounger?

Well i have a friend who is scared of heights. he bought a API mvp and didnt like it cause he felt uncomfortable . he bought a ole man and the same.
well he finally broke down and bought a tree lounge. he still has it oh about 6 years now. he says he climbs higher and feels safe. if this guy feels safe then they are safe.
like i said before i am going to have one . i have a api preditor and a api grand slam supreme and the tree lounge on a pole beats them both for comfort. oh yeah i have palyed with that buddys lounge and it feels just as good on a tree. i did have to get used to how it climbs.

get the tree lounge!!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

I had a tree lounge and did not like it.

Pros.....VERY COMFORTABLE,VERY SAFE

CONS....VERY LOUD TO CLIMB WITH.....PAIN TO SET UP...TOO MANY PINS AND SCREWS.....I SLEPT TOO MUCH IN IT.......MORE DIFFICULT TO CLIMB WITH.

It is very safe in the tree. If it were'nt such a Pain to set up and climb with I would still have it. I replaced mine with a Summit, and I am very glad I did it. I feel very safe in it. You also get a Seat O' the Pants harnes, which it is also used to climb with because it dubs as a linesman harness.

With any climber...a lot had to do with the tree you climb. You need to be smart about it. The manufacturer will say the same thing. NO DEAD TREES.....don't climb trees that have loose bark. Straighter the tree the better. Good luck with you decision. IMO I'd go with the summit. I've enjoyed mine more than the tree lounge.

FYI...if you do get the tree lounge...paint those knobs a bright color. IF you drop one in the dark you'll thank yourself! Although, I think I remeber seeing that treelounge is selling them colored now.

j
Old 08-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have them both. As far as the tree lounge goes I got mine ten yrs or more ago so I don't know if they have changed them that much but the 1 I have is HEAVY. It is comfortable, safe and nice to shoot out of. I have the bow platform so I used it for both gun & bow. It does take a little more time to set up but climbing is not a problem. I never had it slip on me. The viper is much more of a portable stand. It is light, comfortable but not as comfortable as the tree lounge. It sets up easy and never had a problem with the cables. Easy to climb and grips the tree nice. I shoot both gun & bow out of it and use it now instead of the tree lounge because of the weight. In fact I have been consideriung selling the tree lounge on ebay.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I SAY GO WITH THE TREE LOUNGE! LOL
i have one of the older tree lounge stands and have no problem whatsoever with it as far as climbing. you will not feel safer in any other stand i promise. i have tried the summit and like it also but you will like the lounge better. and don't be turned off by them telling you you will fall asleep too much. if you do you will and can't fall out of the tree lounge and the summit it is possible. you should always wear a harness of some sort no matter which stand. my tree lounge is one of the old ones that with the bowhunting adaptor it weighs 31lbs. i think the newer ones weigh 19lbs. i dont see any reason for me too change because i just put the wheels on mine, load it with my gear and dolly everything in the woods with me. a summit can't do that. treelounge even hauls deer out for you. if you get the lounge get the bowhunting adaptor and the wheels. you'll love it. jmo sry for the long wind
Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a big fan of summit stands but would take one over the treelounge. Look at Timbertall...Ol'Man or Lone Wolf Alpha Sit and Climber. Your supposed to be quiet going up a tree if you plan on shooting anything worthwhile a Treelounge is too noisy and on the right bark the new Model will kill you. Old Treelounges were extremely safe but still noisy and very heavy.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:48 PM

I have owned OL MAN, and API and I sold them all to get my second and newest Summitt. I have NEVER been as compfortable nor felt so safe untill I got into my Viper. Yhat is the best tree biter I have ever used!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:00 PM

I love my tree lounge!!! It takes a little extra time to get into, but you can sit all day and be comfortable the entire day, IMO, that makes the extra couple of minutes worth it!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

oeh is a tree lounge hater. you'll never turn me away get the tree lounge you won't be sry. i could care less about mine making a little noise because i climb in the dark and kill deer every year. old elk hunter keeps talking about noise. he must climb after daylight when the deer are under the stand
Old 08-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Typical Buck

The tree lounge I had was like trying to shoot off the end of a diving board and the diving board would have been easier to drag out in the woods and up a tree.

I've owned a bunch from cheapo hang ons to Bakers, tree loungers, and Loggys. Now I've found what I'm looking for, Summit Viper XLS.

Wanna buy a couple Loggy Bayou climbers?

Quick Reply: summit viper or tree lounger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.