Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Etched Crosshairs vs ?

Old 07-27-2004, 11:22 AM
etw

Default Etched Crosshairs vs ?

I read in another post (BSA scopes) that the cross hairs fell. Aren't they etched in the glass or plastic lens? Or are they really hairs/wires? Would the etched cross hairs appear in the more expensive scopes? Which is better?
Old 07-27-2004, 03:04 PM

Default RE: Etched Crosshairs vs ?

The BSA scopes are worthless. They have wire reticles. The only scope brand I know of that has an etched reticle are Zeiss. I know that Swarovski has a wire reticle, but I do not know about Docter Optics, or Schimdt and Bender (all european optic brands). I am almost 99.9% sure that no American made scopes or even high class scopes from japan, china, etc (Nikon, Burris, Leupold, etc) do not have the etched reticle. And yes it is better. I think it makes it easier to see and it cannot "fall off", but I have not had any experience with a Zeiss. Hope this helps...................oh and they are mostly found on very expensive scopes...........
Old 07-27-2004, 06:53 PM

Goose is right about Zeiss using etched glass reticles. I am not aware of any other company using etched crosshairs. I am positive that BSA does not. I have heard that BSA uses plastic lenses , but I have not been able to verify. If that is true that would rule out BSA for any application at any cost in my opinion. Zeiss factory test their scopes to 1500Gs /1 millisecond. Which is 4 times the recoil of a 468 Weatherby Magnum. Etched reticles are available in Zeiss' Conquest scopes for around $450.00
Old 08-16-2004, 02:22 PM

A new company called Mueller makes scopes with an etched reticle. I tested one and liked it enough to buy it. THe price is not bad either. I rated the clarity and color contrast right up there with Burris and Zeiss. I included their link below. I have the scope mounted on a Winchester Mod. 70 Coyote in .270 WSM. over 100 rounds so far without a hitch.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/

Leatherwood also makes a model of scope with an etched recticle. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most european scopes are etched with a few exceptions . Leupolds big game reticle has an etched glass reticle. IOR scopes have etched reticles
Old 08-17-2004, 04:07 AM

Found one more scope with an etched reticle, the Tasco Super Sniper. This scope was built to compete for a Navy contract and they are of high quality according to reviews. They were manufactured in Japan by Tasco but apparently they are not your typical Tasco. Most I have seen for sale are fixed power (usually 10x) and run just under $300.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea I was gonna get a BSA scope a while back from cabelas, the cabelas saleman dropped the scope on the floor was still in the box but while i was looking through the scope it seemd like hairs were out of whack not centered I couldnt figure it out so i tapped it with my finger a few times and then looked through it again and the crosshairs were gone.

Stalker6 to answer your question about if the BSA scopes have plastic lenses the answer is no they get their lenses from the same company that tasco, Bushnell and meade get theirs from the company is called Barska Optics