Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Poll: The maps that you use

Old 07-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Poll: The maps that you use

I am curious where most folks get their maps for 'field use'. Do you use the seven and a half minute, 1:24,000 scale topo's that the Geological survey produces. Or do you create your own by one of the various computer mapping programs.

I'm also curious what grid format most folks are more comfortable with...UTM or degrees and decimal minutes.

And last, If you use a G.P.S. with your map, where did you learn how to interpret grid coordinates...From a book, video, or did someone show you how.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:34 PM

Default RE: Poll: The maps that you use

I download my aerial and topo maps from http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx and have them laminated for field use. A decent GPS program called Easy GPS can be downloaded from http://www.easygps.com/ to keep up with your favorite spots. You'll need a cable to connect your GPS to the PC if you don't already have one. Most GPS units come with one.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks deerslayer, I checked out the top link...Do you use grid coordinates when traveling...And if so, what grid format and datum.

The reason I'm asking is pretty simple and straight foward...I'm wondering where most folks learned how to read coordinates OR if most folks rely on the icons and arrows when navigating in the woods.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have ordered 2 maps from MYTOPO.com in 1-15000 and several downloaded maps .I use a gps and a compass . For years I was to cheap to buy a gps , I just used a compass , got there and back .With most gps units if the canapy is to thick and or heavy rain/snow they just don't work ,learn to read a compass no batterys to go dead !
Old 07-20-2004, 12:23 AM

On the maps I have on hand show the grids are 5,000' X 5,000' which makes it easier to figure out the distance on larger areas. The maps have a legend explaining what the icons mean. The larger maps will tell longitude and latitude for the grids which helps when using a GPS enabled with this feature to pinpoint your location within a few yards. I agree with Johnch that a compass is invaluable when needed. Always have one in your pack and get familiar with using it. Don't trust the sun (the old rises in the east, sets in the west thing). During the winter as you know the days are quite a bit shorter than during summer. This is because the sun takes a more eliptical path in winter. Doesn't set due west.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

dave, i use the 1:24,000 maps. normally carry the map sheet along with a compass. but if i am hunting in a small area, i print my own topo maps using the maptech program from garmin. i can print the grids, along with some border information, i find UTM the best to use. most of the stuff i know about map reading i learned on my own, reading articles, etc. i also rely a lot on the gps and the maps when i am out in the woods.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:54 PM

Dave

I use standard issue usgs 1:24.000 and UTM grids,, I learned to nav in the Corps. and got used to the usmgrs and liked it. the utm is closest grid system I can find to" keep it simple stupid" which are words to live by.

I would like to get a closer look at the little plastic scale that comes with your book. it seems to resemble something i used all the time in the grunts to land nav with..and might be real useful with the scale of civilian maps.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phoenix,

I would be happy to send one to you, Just e-mail me with your home address. it's [email protected]

It's my own design. It is a typical UTM square with a peloris compass around the edge so that you can use it for doing a resection also.

I also designed one for use with the 1:150,000 scale state atlas's that are so common. As far as I know, it's the ONLY grid reader for degrees and decimal minutes.