Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

which one Steiner or Nikon

Old 05-10-2004, 11:28 PM

Default which one Steiner or Nikon

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on which has the best overall performance, as far as low light use and day use. I'm trying to stay in the three hundred dollar range. I saw what I liked bear hunting but can't see spending that much yet. They where binos made by Minox 10x52's, wow that was super clear.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:38 PM

Default RE: which one Steiner or Nikon

Sorry I forgot to say I'm looking at the Steiner predators 10x42, and Nikon monarch 10x42's
Old 05-11-2004, 11:31 AM

As tough as the Steiners are, and the good press they recieve, I just don't care for them. I prefer the Nikons. I have a Travelite V pair in 9 power, and the camo 10x36 model. I love them. I use the Travelites for bowhunting because of their size, and the other ones for rifle hunting.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:20 PM

steiner
Old 05-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a pair of the 10x42 Nikon Monarchs and am extremely pleased with their performance. For the price they are tough to beat.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

i own a pair of the steiner predator 10x and they are not that good. At low light your eyes are almost better than the binocs. I have a pair of the 99 dollar nikons and they are better than the 200 dollar steiners. On the Nikon the adjustable eye piece fell off the first day in the field. I am saving my money for the Pentax 10x50 DCF WP Binoculars. They are roof prism, nitrogen filled, and rated highly by several review sights. I would tell you to go with any pair of roof prism Nikon binocs unless they are too big for your purpose.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Although a bit more money than you want to spend, the Cabela's Alaskan Guide series in 10X42 are very good.
I did a side-by-side comparison with the Nikon at Cabela's and bought the Alaskan Guide model. I thought the clarity was better and I liked the individual click center focus adjustment better.

The Alaskan Guide series is advertised as, "European quality at a fraction of the price." I actually was going to buy the Alaskan Guide 8X42 because it would have provided slightly increased brightness, but found the 10X42s in the Bargain Cave.
Regards.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Steiner is the Yugo of German Optics plain and simple and overpriced as all get out...any Japanese binocular of reputable make blows them out of the water.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used almost every bino out there, in every model. Steiners are the most overpriced without a doubt. It's funny. But there are many guys out there that will claim they are they best out there and stand by it. I'll have people come into work like this, and show them a bino almost half the price and compare them to the steiner. Guess which one looks better? lol They usually stop bragging about steiners after that.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

KS hunter..I have looked thru every STeiner imaginable and some of their products are not exactly cheap. I just bought a Sightron SIII 8x42 off of Ebay..I'll put that Sightron against any Steiner ever built and I paid 240 for it. Its almost as darn good as my Leica ;and it has tremendous resolution .