Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Steiner Binoculars

Old 10-24-2004, 04:01 AM

Default Steiner Binoculars

All,

I need a good set of binoculars and I have been a couple models from Steiner.

The nighthunter Series seems like the tops, but it's a bit more than I care spend on glass that I will use, at most, a couple times a year.

The predator line is intriguing, and I contemplating a 12 x 40 set, but I am not sure it's worth it for where I live. The Binoculars sport a lens coating that is meant to make game stand out by highlighting red tones. That might work well in the Black Forest in Germany, or in Pennsylvania, but out here in Arizona, and in much of the West, there is an awful lot of red dirt and a lot of game with more grey than red. Considering this does anyone have an opinion if this is model is worth it? If it's not I might as well just get the standard coating on the Safari, or Military line.

I have a late season Bull Elk tag for Eastern Az. I do not have a lot of experience with the Glass/stalk hunt. Any suggestions what to look for in binoculars you are going to do must of your hunting through? What power is too little/too much?

Thanks!

--David
Old 10-24-2004, 01:51 PM
LY

Default RE: Steiner Binoculars

I've got a set of the Predators 8X30 at a going out of business sell and I love them. I'm not sure how well the lense coating helps in spotting game as I can't tell a difference myself and don't have a 'regular' pair to compare them against. But, I do love them and would definitely buy them over again. I'd just go with the Military/Marine model since they're cheaper and the benefits of the Predator model are questionable.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:15 PM

I've got the exact set your talking about ($249 at sportsmans guide). I hunt in nev right next door to Az and like them alot, as to makeing game STAND OUT I dont think so, maybe in really green areas, but still good,clear,affordable,durable glass.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:17 PM

Almost forgot, they have no Focus, they are in focus at all ranges, after 6-8hours on the glass its nice to just point and look without haveing to refocus.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:21 PM

I have had a pair of Bighorns for fifteen years and other than being a little heavy they are great optics and have served me well. If you find some that really make animals show up then let me know and I will buy them. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:39 PM

I also have a pair of the Predator 8x30's and I love them. Being from MN, I don't have a lot of really far glassing to do so they work great for me. I also love the fact that they are auto focusing!! Makes looking at stuff so easy.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:54 PM

i love to spend cash....but even those are a lil rich for my blood
Old 11-22-2004, 12:19 PM

I have a pair of Steiner Predators... crystal clear, compact but very expensive. Leupold makes a set of binoculars under the name Wind River. They are very nice binoculars, very inexpensive also, heck they sell them at the Wal Mart!
Old 11-27-2004, 02:43 PM

the best thing I have ever done was buy good optics. If your going to hunt you might as well have good quality gear. I see no reason not to get the very best you can afford. I am an avid hunter and optics are a priority in the states I hunt.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:54 PM

I agree AzHunt, I just hunted with a friend who had Swarovski 10x42 SLC and they were beautiful, but $1100 is a bit too much for me. I am considering the Steiner Peregrine series $900, but am curious about the night hunters too.
Gotta go someplace where you can compare all them, preferably at dusk.

Quick Reply: Steiner Binoculars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.