Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Range Finder Bushnell or Nikon >

Range Finder Bushnell or Nikon

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Range Finder Bushnell or Nikon

Old 04-19-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Range Finder Bushnell or Nikon

I am gonna buy a rangefinder in the $300-$400 range. Both Nikon and Bushnell offer models in this range. I will need one that is good on pronghorn out to 400-500 yards. Anyone have an opinion on either?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Range Finder Bushnell or Nikon

Of the 2 you mentioned - Bushnell. However I would really consider adding the Lieca 900 Scan model to your list, it can be found around 400 -450. My honest opinion it is worth a few extra bucks if you plan on using it on longer than 300 yards. I have a Bushnell Pro Scout and while it works good, I do find the design a little tough to hold on smaller game such as deer or lopers at 300 plus, not to mention the read out on the lieca is red and others it is black-so much easier to see in lower light.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:10 PM

Ah, the age old optic issue. Plan on spending as much as you possibly can, then spend a little more. I have heard good things about the Leica. How do I justify that to the wife again? Honey, yes I know we have a baby due any time, but I really NEED that $400 rangefinder.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lieca would be my choice , Have Nikon and had Bushnell or it had me whatever . [:@]
Old 04-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I cannot attest to this fact but I have heard several times from forum members I respect that the optics on the Leica are better but the accuracy on the Bushnell and Nikon models is better. Again, I cannot say this personally but have heard it otn a few occasions.

I have a Busnell Sport model rangefinder. For the bowhunting situations I am presented with it is fine and entirely adequate. However, if I had more money to spend I would buy the new Nikon Monarch rangefinder. Better optics with just as compact a package.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

PA for bow hunting the lieca has problem at ranges under 10-20 yards and the design isn't nearly as compact as others for this application - main reason I have a bushnell over a lieca is archery perdominant use.

Codydawg, I hear you hard to justify and convince the other half(always important to keep the home fires warm) but in the end one is always cheaper than 2 if unsatisfied for the application. If you said for archery and rifle hunting up to 300 yards my answer would have been different but when your talking 400-500 yards..well you have added the debate of acceptable vs good. Best advise go out do some touching/feeling and comparing to find what is best for your needs and budget. Congrats and good luck on your new arrival!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Love my bushnell scout! $300.00
Old 04-21-2004, 08:24 PM

I just recently bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 and it reliably ranges non reflective objects out to 500 yards or so which is farther than I'll be taking shots at deer around here. I bought mine from Natchez Shooters Supply for $279 if I recall correctly. It's more rangefinder than most will ever need and not nearly as costly as the Leicas.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Bushnell 800 and it work's just fine .I've heard lot's of guy's say that the Nikon is better but I wouldn't think that there's a whole lot of difference to make me trade it in for a Nikon .

nubo
Old 04-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used a nikon but I have a bushnell and it has been great. I guess I cant tell you which is better but I can say that Bushnell is a good buy.