Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Premium Rifle Ammo

Old 04-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Premium Rifle Ammo

A buddy and I have been discussing the premium rifle ammunition that most ammo makers are offering. I've read that the bullets have a more controlled expansion and hold their energy longer through the target. At long ranges on bigger game I probably could be convinced that a $30 box of ammo is better than a $15 box of ammo. Especially if I were on a once in a life time trip. But, until then I guess I'll stick to my regular Core-Lokt round.

Has anyone out there used a premium ammo (like Remington's Core-Lokt Ultra)? Is it better?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Premium Rifle Ammo

Roll your own. You can make that $30 box for around $10 and tailor them to shoot better in your gun. Note you won't save money initially as you will shoot more and as Martha would say "thats a good thing"
Old 04-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

For myself I handload all the ammo that I shoot and use premium bullets . I find there is a lot of difference in penatration and accuracy . But I also believe there are a lot of other ammos that will do the same job ,just a matter of what you place your confidence in . Hal
Old 04-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I load my own ammo but if I didn't I would first try Federal Premium ammo with Nosler Partition bullets. I have used them in several rifles and they seem to be very accurate and the Partition bullet is about as good as it gets. IMO.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:44 PM

I handload also, but finding the time is always an issue for me. However, I haved used and will continue to use the premium grade factory ammo that's out there. I tried several different loads in the Federal and Winchester premium lines and have found them to be very good. I normally get more consistent accuracy over their basic ammo and the fact that they're loaded with the higher grade bullets that I prefer is a big plus. I think it's worth the extra cost, even when I'm just deer hunting close to home.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:48 AM

I would handload, but it truly wouldn't be worth it, no matter how much better I can shoot. When I lived in Montana, and could go to a buddy's gravel pit and shoot for hours on end, yes, I did reload. But now, living near the city, there simply iws no place to shoot unless I want to drive for an hour and a half to my stepdad's farm, or drive half an hour and pay to shoot at a range. Either way, with gas prices being what they are, it's a serious waste of resources. I tried to convince my wife that we needed to get a place in the country when we bought our house, but she insisted that we live in town. Some day, if I am lucky enough to have the money to live in the country, i will start hand loading again as I will be shooting EVERY day.
On another note, have y'all seen that new factory ammo that supposedly lessens recoil? If you have heard of it, how does that affect the way the gun shoots or the bullet flies?
Old 04-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

johnkeltgen ; I have been adjusting the recoil on shotgun shells for years , just using the right combination of components will do this . I have done some with rifle ammo but you can't get as much relief with it as you can a shotgun . Its not something that new to a reloader . Hal
Old 04-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

NCOutdoors. I hunt elk with the Nosler Partition. Just about everyone in our camp use premium bullets.

The Oct 2002 Shooting Times had an excellent article on premium bullet performance that contains numerous graphs chronicling the bulets' perfomance. It is well done.

The Core Lokt is a well tested bullet with great reputation. It may not be the best bullet for big thicker skinned animals.

I also reload Nosler Partitions for both hunting and a small amount of zero verification.
Just recently read an article on the new Core Lokt Ultra but am having a senior moment in trying recall which magazine. Article was favorable.
Regards.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe premium ammo is worth the extra money regardless of the game but is paramount the larger/thicker/tougher the game you are hunting. I am not a fan of rem. factory ammo, but will say a friend used the ultra corelokt last fall it performed better on the range in accuracy but no better on the game end vs. reg. corelokt - in fact the ultra came completely unglued on a buck @ 100yards (3006), which required a second finishing shot. I took 2 deer with a Nolser Ballistic Tip last fall and they crumpled, thus why I choose to use premium ammo. The amount of money and time I spend hunting game a year isn't worth the saving or chance that the ammo won't perform they way I expect it to. It boils down to each their own I guess.

BTW I certainly won't recommend a corelokt or Ultra for any elk or moose hun, you need a solid bullet like a : partition, trophy bonded, failsafe, barnes x, etc.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:47 AM
etw

There is an informative article in this month's edition of the National Rifleman on the three Nosler premium bullets. Partition, plastic tipped, and the new bonded bullet.

Quick Reply: Premium Rifle Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.