Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Hand held radios. Opinions please >

Hand held radios. Opinions please

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hand held radios. Opinions please

Old 03-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Spike

Default Hand held radios. Opinions please

Currently own a single Motorola T6320 radio and am looking to add to the arsenal. Figuring there have been some advancements in radio communications since I purchased my 6320 over 4 years ago, I have the following questions. Will the Motorola T5920 and/or the Motorola T5950 hold up to the radio range I get with my 6320 (4-5 miles over water. 3-4 miles through heavy bush)? I don't use any of the other features on the 6320, just the radio. The radio is hard to beat. I've used several other radios and nothing seems to compare to the 6320 radio for distance and clarity. Your opoinions please. I figure there is a reasom the 6320 is twice as exspensive. Prices T6320, ni-mh battery no charger for $90.00. T5029 (pair) battery and dbl charger for $70.00. T5950 (pair), battery and dbl charger for $80.00.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:50 PM

Default RE: Hand held radios. Opinions please

did you have to get a license to use that?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are getting 3 to 4 miles of range through heavy brush with the 6320? Not to doubt your word but you must have received a "suped up" model as in most cases with FRS/GMRS radios you won't get more than a mile (if you are lucky) in those conditions.

I cannot think of a single FRS or GMRS radio that will transmit 3-4 miles through brush, trees, hills, etc.. It is because of the nature of the radiowave that those types of radios utilize. They do not work well in those types of conditions.

You might...and I stress "might"... be able to pull that off with a 4 watt GMRS unit with a 6 or 8 inch whippee antenna. Pryme radio products makes one of these and the cost is about $190 a radio but it does come with a heavy duty rechargeable NIMH battery.

For more info on this type of question I would suggest visiting.... www.popularwireless.com .

Sorry I could not help more.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:20 AM

Midland GMRS 3-watt 2-pack for $79.99

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...022193ii01.jpg
Old 03-09-2004, 05:16 AM

i think they are very useful, but they can do more harm then good. . . .i would recomend someone buying an earpiece to go with the radio
Old 03-09-2004, 12:55 PM

I now base my radio selection on whether it has a spot to slip a small rope throug so I can where it from my neck. 1 mle or 5 miles they don't do me any good laying in a laurel patch somewhere like the first two I had. Also found the some of the 5 mile radios produced static when conversing with our 2 mile radios. Like the fellows had marbles in their mouth- couldn't understand half of what was said. Something to keep in mind. Juniorpc.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Also found the some of the 5 mile radios produced static when conversing with our 2 mile radios. Like the fellows had marbles in their mouth- couldn't understand half of what was said. Something to keep in mind.
jpc,

I believe that is because of the band width spacing that GMRS and FRS radios utilize. The FRS units are "2 mile radios" and the GMRS radios are usually labeled at "5 mile radios" because of the power output (though that is another story). Each uses slightly different spacing if I remember correctly. I would have to pull a manual out to verify that though.