Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Zeiss treats me right!

Old 02-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Zeiss treats me right!

About a week and a half ago I returned a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 to the Zeiss service center. I had specks of debris inside the ocular end of the scope. The specks were really quite minor and didn't effect my shooting, but I thought I'd send it in to see if they could do anything about it. The scope also had a couple of dings on it (one on the tube and one on the parallax adjustment knob) from when my rifle got dropped while I was at the shooting range one day. I explained that these dings were my fault and I didn't expect them to fix these.

Well yesterday the brown truck delivers a box from Zeiss and I immediately opened it expecting to find my scope inside. Instead I find a brand spanking new one. I couldn't believe it. It was like Christmas in February. It's apparent that they have made improvements to this scope since I bought the original one. The parallax adjustment knob is different and feels a lot better. The old one had some slop in it. This new one doesn't and it even looks better too. Even the power ring feels more precise as you turn it. Thanks Zeiss, you really know what customer service is all about.

Now I have a dilemma, though. I had planned on selling the repaired scope once I got it back, but this new one is so nice I don't know what I'm going to do now. I've already got a new Leupold VX III 3.5-10x40 on order to replace it. I guess I could just keep both of them even though I've only got one rifle right now that's without a scope. Gives me a reason to look for a new rifle to put it on I guess.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Zeiss treats me right!

Thanks for sharing the news, it really helps others looking at what certain companies do and don't do for support.

May I ask one question though why have you decided to move from the Zeiss to Leupold? I don't own a Zeiss, just curious...thanks
Old 02-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zeiss treats me right!

Well I like Zeiss a lot, don't get me wrong. I'm not really moving away from it at all, especially after the great service I just got. But I have always liked Leupold also. I think the last couple of years Zeiss has had an edge over Leupold, though, with their Conquest line. I've been really interested in the new VX III line, however, since Leupold announced it and I've been wanting to try one out. I'll probably end up selling the new scope Zeiss sent me just because the hunting I do doesn't require a scope of that magnification and I don't need the side focus either. I'll probably decide within a day or two whether to keep it or sell it. But I'm definitely still a Zeiss fan. I do own another one and there may be more in the future.