Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Need input on knife sharpeners >

Need input on knife sharpeners

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need input on knife sharpeners

Old 01-20-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Need input on knife sharpeners

Looking for a good, easy to use, knife sharpener and I was hoping some of you could help me start looking in the right direction.

I am in no way shape or form to be considered knowledged in the way of sharpening knives. I’m looking for a sharpener that is affordable, easy to use, and one that provides me with a durable edge for general hunting uses, skinning and boning meat.

I’ve been looking at some of the electric sharpeners, Chef’s Choice @ Bass Pro. The three stage models. Are these things as “fool proof” as they appear? Do give a quality/durable edge? These are a little pricier but well worth it if they are simple and quick to use.

The other option I was considering was the Lansky sharpener. These appear to be much more affordable and they offer the user his preference of sharpening angle. All good qualities but it also looks to be more cumbersome and time taking.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Toby
Old 01-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need input on knife sharpeners

I use one that has course/medium/fine on it. Looks like a triangle.
I grade the knife flat at first to get any burs off of it then at a 45 degree angle to sharpen going against the blade. Works for me.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:02 PM

Lansky has always worked for me. I usually use the medium stone a little manual effort opposed to the electrics. I don;t even know if the electrics work or not.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my hunting/utility knives I prefer to use a stone and sharpen the old fashioned way. For the knives I use for boning/butchering I use a steel which can be found at any Walmart, Lechters, etc. A decent steel will run about $ 25 or so, professional quality can be as much as $ 100.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:52 PM

Forget the stones and all that. I bought an Accusharp knifesharpner and it keeps my knives razor sharp. I couldn't beleive how well it works. I carry one in my pack at all times
Old 01-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Spike

I have the Lanskey and love it. Every knife I own I can shave with. Very easy to use. You will not be disappointed with it.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have them all. The electric Chefs choice does a fair job on kitchen knives but won't handle a thick hunting knife and it won't sharpen the rear 1" of the blade. The lanskey does a great job on every knife, with the different stones you can quickly sharpen a badly ground knife then maintain it with the finer stones. The easiest is the crock stix. which are a pair of round ceramic stones that fit into a board at a 20 degree angle, by cutting downward on them you sharpen your knife. It does a good job . The only draw back is if you have a new knife the angle might not be 20 degrees and since there is only one stone it would take quite a while to re-do the angle to get the knife sharp. The triangle seems like a similar set up, if it has different stone grades it might be better . If I were to get only one I think I would go for a "Gatco" ( from Cabelas) very similar to the Lanskey but with wider stones and a better rod attachment system. The trouble with the lanskey is the plastic where the guide rods attach has broken on 3 of my stones. I would stay away from the diamond stones . My diamond stones for my lanskey wore out. That is the diamond dust is glued onto a metal bar the glue wore off making the stones usless. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:55 AM

I have cleaned a lot of salmon and big game and I always get asked to sharpen knives in camp. I have them all but all I use is a round diamond hone to set the edge and a steel to finish. This will quickly produce an edge that is perfect for cutting through fish skin and too sharp for a skinning blade. It is fast, easy and cheap and unless you are carving hardwood you don't have to stone the blades for hunting and fishing.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:03 AM

I've been using the lansky kit for about 4yrs now and it does a wonderful job on any knife I've sharpened. You won't be disappointed. Take a look at the diamond set as well.

Crawdaddy
Old 01-21-2004, 10:22 AM

I have a cheap easy to use knife sharpener. His business is about 6 blocks from where I live and he provides a great edge on my hunting knives.

He charges my $4.00 per knife to sharpen. He is a professional knife maker and sharpens knives for a few extra bucks.

I bought a Spyderco Bill Moran model hunting knife it has very hard steel and a very sharp blade (vg42 I believe, there are several other steels as hard or harder available). This purchase solved my knife sharpening headache. Can't remember exactly what it cost but it was under $100.

I have cleaned two elk and a deer with it (without any sharpening of the blade at all) and I think it is finally ready to be sharpened. It is still pretty sharp but it is ready for a touch up.

I wanted a knife that would never need to be sharpened in the field so this knife works great for me cause I have a proven/demonstrated inability to sharpen a knife.

My advice for what it is worth is instead of spending the money on a sharpening system spend it to get a knife with a very hard blade that will hold its edge and not need sharpening in the field and then find a professional to touch it up for a couple bucks when it needs it. If you are a one deer a year guy it could be 5 or 6 years before you need to have it sharpened.

Quick Reply: Need input on knife sharpeners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.