Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

gun safes & floor load

Old 01-06-2004, 02:48 PM

Default gun safes & floor load

just bought a new gun safe, dimensions are 60x37x28, 925 pounds. i plan on placing it in a corner, both walls are load bearing to the foundation, i plan on reinforcing the floor, any ideas of the best way to do this? or is it necessary (common sense tells me yes)
Old 01-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gun safes & floor load

It would depend a lot on the size of your floor joists ,but it wouldn't hurt to block the joists and add a short beam in that area . I have a friends safe in my gun room because it is to heavy for his joist floors .
Old 01-07-2004, 02:14 PM

my floor joists are 2 x 8 on 16 inch centers, the room is 15' x 10' and is supported on 3 sides by load bearing walls, including the outside foundation and two concrete partition walls underneath. my idea is to make 2 5 foot beams which will be 6"x 6" (out of 3 6 x 2 glued and screwed) and place them directily under the safe with floor jacks, any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:49 PM

Hi t roy,

I'm not an engineer....so don't take this as gospel. But from what you described, and particularly with the additional support you enumerated, I don't think you will have any problems at all. Actually most modern homes, (that have been built to code), would have no trouble supporting any reasonable gun safe. Particularly when placed in a corner by load bearing walls.

An additional, worthwhile, "reinforcement" that you might want to consider is in an "anchoring system". A method of securing the safe itself to something substantial in the home. You'd think the weight of the safe, with contents, would be deterent enough. But they are not. A professional thief with a little time, commercial grade dolly, and particularly with some help....can both pry simple screws/bolts from studs....and wheel it out. (If you can get it in...they can get it out!) So a steel attachment (not susceptible or accessible to hardened bolt cutters) imbedded into steel reinforced concrete....might be indicated. If you believe that you live in an area where exposure to this kind of a burglary is unlikely....you could choose not to bother. That's a question you need to answer for yourself.

At any rate...good luck with the new safe!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:04 AM

thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

t roy you could use two 4"x8" beams running parallel to your floor joist then a 4"X6"cross beam under them with support posts under it to the floor or ground . That way you would have one end sitting on the sill plate of the foundation and the other end supported by your posts . adjust your beams under your safe so you can bolt through them for extra security . If the posts will be sitting on soil you will need to put a pad under them and use wolmanized post to keep out termites .
Old 01-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Most people over estimate floor loads caused by large objects. Assuming the safe doesn't have wheels or blocks underneath it you are talking about 1036 (37x28) sq. inches of bearing area under the safe. As long as you don't put it in the middle of the room, (who would do that?) you will be fine. I have 3 tons of fireplace rock bearing on about 600 sq inches close to a beam wih no issues at all. 6 or 8 adults sitting at a kitchen table (typically in the center of a room-joist) causes more severe loads than that safe sitting closer to a wall. FYI, I worked for my dad's engineering firm for 7 years and designed my home so I know of what I speak. Good luck with it.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:44 AM

i would tend to agree with you tbone; i did talk with my brother who is a civil engineer, he sd just to be sure the supporting beems will ensure no long term sloping of the floor.