Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

VARIXII VS VARIXIII

Old 11-18-2003, 10:26 AM

Default VARIXII VS VARIXIII

I am looking to replace a scope on one of my rifles. I have always used Leopolds and love them....the scopes I am using are 20 years old though. What are the major differences between the Vari Xii and the Vari Xiii.

The price between the two for the same basic powers are $200. There must me a big difference with a difference in price that high.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 06:14 PM

Default RE: VARIXII VS VARIXIII

to be honest with you I dont reallly know.. but Ill try to verbatim what Ive been told.. someone told me that there is like a 5% difference in " light" as the vx3 will gather and hold 5% more light than the vx2.. I dont know how true that is but thats what Ive been told.. I have a vx2 and cannot complain at all
Old 11-18-2003, 10:26 PM

I hunted with a VarX II for years on my 270win. I bought a new rifle this year a 270wsm as I gave my 270 to my nephew. I put a Zeiss Conquest on it which is compareable to a VariX III if not better and it is certainly better than I had before. I got a good price at Outdoorsmen in Arizona no tax no shipping and they are a registerd dealer for Zeiss products.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:58 AM

First off, lets try and use the right model names, so people don' t get confused. The Vari-X II is no long available, it' s name has been switch to the new Rifleman series. I am assuming the you would like to know the difference between the Vari-X III and the VX-II? The only major difference between the Vari-X III and the VX-II is that the Vari-X III has multicoat 4 coating on all lenses, internal and external, while the VX-II has the multicoat 4 on just external.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 11-19-2003, 05:13 AM

i bought a varixIII 3.5x10 leupold in 1990 and have never had any problems with it.there are less costly scopes that are brighter and more light gathering but i put a lot of confidence on a scope holding it' s zero.i am about to replace another scope with the rifleman 4x12x40.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another difference between the VX-II or Vari-xII is they have a 3 pc scope tube and the VXIII is one piece.. its also shorter and for the same power range lighter...
Old 11-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Have found that the VX-II holds it' s zero really well.
My gun takes a lot of knocks, and I have had to make very little adjustment between hunting trips.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have had both scopes and shoot nothing but Remington 700's. I rely on the Leupold at work where I am a SWAT team sniper.

I began hunting with a 40mm varix II and later sold that rife. My next rifle had a variX-III with a 50mm. What people here forgot to metion is the difference in scope adjustments between the two. The variX3 has 1/4 minute click adjustments and the varix2 does not.

I don't think there is a big difference between the 40mm and the 50mm. If I bought another one I would probably go back to the 40mm because with the 50mm I had to add a beartooth comb raising kit to be able to shoot comfortably.

As for the difference in the varixII to the varix-III you have to look at you budget. I don't think you gain much for the extra money you spend on the varix-III.

I think the best plan is to buy the 40mm variX-II and send it in to Leupold and have the variX-III 1/4 click adjustment knobs installed. Other than the lens coating this will be a varix-III with a lower price tag. The cost for the change is approx. $80.00

At work we use the target knobs an dial up our shots. If I have to take a 200 yard shot I actually remove the adjusment knob cover and turn my elevation up six clicks. For 600yds 64 clicks etc.. There is no kentucky windage when you have to shoot at a human.

You can't go wrong with any Leupold. They are all lifetime warranty and will hold zero from year to year.

If money is no object by a Leupold LPS. It has a wider range than the other scopes.

P.S. The best prices I've found are at Natchez shooter supply. The are online

Cybersniper