Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Question on climbing treestands >

Question on climbing treestands

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Question on climbing treestands

Old 12-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Question on climbing treestands

Smoke.....the Summit stands are more comfortable, if you are going to stay on stand all day long.

But after using a Loggy Bayou, new Summit Cobra, Ol Man Vision, and Lone Wolf Alpha sit-n-climb, my choice was the Lone Wolf. Why?

1. Quieter while fastening/unfastening, climbing and unpacking/packing
2. Traction belts grip like no other climbing stand and after 2 seasons of constant use, the belts show no wear!
3. Packs and carries like a dream! Nothing to poke you in the back and is very comfortable packing.
4. Rock solid in the tree and I feel completely safe
5. Patented Cam lock system is solid and very adjustable.
6. Climbing/front bar will swing down out of the way or can be used for a gun rest/arm rest.
For me the Lone Wolf is exactly what I wanted in a climber, and I have bowhunted since 1977.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:46 AM
yoz

Well I thought I'd put my 2 cents in on this subject. I have only used 3 different stands in my quest.

How you plan on using it is probably the most important part for selecting a tree stand. If you plan on moving it around alot or mainly sitting in a few different spots all day makes a big difference. I usualy hunt one or two spots and sit from dark to dark. My order goes like this
1.) Saftey
2.) Comfort
3.) Ease of use.

For me Hand climbers are definately out. To much energy and sweat getting up the tree. The sit and stand method is easy as it sounds. Finding a strategic location is paramount in my ventures so I'm not concerned too much about weight when I get it there it usualy stays there a while and I usualy put it on the tree a week or two prior to the hunt and lock it there. This method may not work for all hunters but I hunt where there are no other hunters usualy.
My selection is the Tree Lounge with bow platform. There are some disadvantages of this tree stand. It's very heavy 35lbs and expensive.but i've walked over a mile with it and it's not that bad but I wouldn't want to walk in in the morning with it and set it up. That is why I set it up ahead of time.
The benefits of the stand are worth it to me.
1.) It's quiet going up going down and seting up.
2.) It's by far the safest tree stand on the market it works on the cantilever principal and it just does not move 1" no matter what you do when up the tree.
3.) I have sat in it over 10hrs in comfort.
4.) I can shoot 360 degrees with bow or gun
5.) I can add or remove clothing while up in the tree with no problems.

Just thought I'd give my opion. Hope some of the info helps you
Old 12-31-2003, 10:24 AM

The one thing you have to do is sit in one for a while. At Bass pro shops they usually have them set on a pole. You have to pick something that will be comfortable. I have an API grand slam supreme. I call it an all day climber because I can sit in it all day without a fidget because it's so comfortable. My API grand slam bowhunter, which I thought when I bought it, would be as comfortable as my supreme but isn't. I suggest you sit in one for at least an hour before you decide. you don't want any reason to squirm.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:49 AM

SUMMIT VIPER, I HAVE HAD FOR ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS THEY WORK GREAT.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:48 PM

i own a lone wolf climber , i would and do recomend it to any one, it sets up silently, is solid in the tree , packs in nicely, i even shot a deer (with a riffle ) while packing in for an after noon of hunting with it strapped to my back.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:36 AM

Hey smokepole. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the stands. I now mostly hunt out of hang on stands because when I want to be quiet...there is nothing like having one allready hanging. But when I do climb I use a summit they are easy, quiet and above all they grab a tree like no other...and that means safe!! Just remember to wear a saftey belt!! I don't like to read about one of my hunting friends get injured or dying!

Vinny
Old 01-06-2004, 11:47 AM

I'm sure you've already bought your stand and I'm interested in what you bought and how you like it.

I bought a Summit Viper this year. Don't like it. It's packs fairly easy and is comfortable but it's really noisy during setup. What good is comfort if you've already scared all the deer away. I'm looking for something else.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:41 PM

The summit bullet is really comfortable and fairly quiet. I like it a lot, but all of the other three are great stands too. Any one of them will probably be fine.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:37 PM

Well Smokepole, I hunt with a "smoke pole" and a bow and I use a Tree Lounge climber. I use the tree lounge climber for 2 reasons, SAFETY, and COMFORT. It may be a little more expensive than some of the others and it may be 2 or 3 pounds heavier, but it IS the "cadillac" of tree stands.
My father is 68 years old and we got him a timber tall brand climber this year cause the lounge was a tad bit to heavy for him. (again he is 68 years old)Timber tall is the only stand on the market that has a platform adjustment so you don't have to sit in a slanted tree all day. It is quiet and steady and comfortable. Of course I had to test it on a hunt or 2 for him.
I'm not saying the others are not good stands, but you should compare options with price and as always your physical conditions too. Good luck on what ever you decide and happy hunting.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:13 PM

well i been hunting for 42 years ,from sitting on limbs to ground .first what type of hunting bow or gun . i have used almost every type of tree stand and the only one that fits all my needs is a viper xl i think the safest ,comfotable easy to use you cant go wrong with them .