Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
❓ Painting a Pop-Up Hunting Hide ➔ How? >

❓ Painting a Pop-Up Hunting Hide ➔ How?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:40 AM
Spike

Default ❓ Painting a Pop-Up Hunting Hide ➔ How?

I bought a pop-up hunting hide (Summit Cobra Realtree*) (or is it called a blind instead of a hide??).

I live in the desert — so "realtree" and any of the other vegetation-colors are out....
➔ I need sand color — desert beige!! 😄
[Yes, when I bought it I knew the color wouldn't work — I just didn't find an affordable option in my field color. 🤦🏻‍♂️ ]

Edit: I don't want other hunters finding my hide — so the camou is for both animals and humans.

❓ So, what suggestions do you have to change the color of my hunting hide to beige?

🔸(1) Spray paint?
➔ Will the fabric get damaged? What type of paint should I avoid?

🔸(2) Require my quarry to wear beige-tinted glasses so that my hide will blend in with the desert sand?
➔ They might not have a nose apt to wear glasses.

🔸(3) Cut pieces of beige fabric and attach them to the outsides of the hide?
➔This would make it heavier, and worse: the sliding windows won't work, this is hugely important to me.

🔸(4) Have a seamstress make a new hide, just use the hardware from the store-bought one?

🔸(5) Other options?

Thanks for your help. 👍🏼

Matthias

*What I bought:
Summit Cobra 2-Person Ground Blind Realtree Edge
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021169866?pid=630135

Last edited by JungleShooter; 12-30-2020 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-30-2020, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most game, except birds, are partially color blind. Many see broader light spectrums than we do. I use military camouflage netting, it is designed to mute UV and infrared (even radar). But using a desert pattern in the green fields and woodland in barren earth doesn't seem to make much difference.
You do have to be careful what dyes, paint, and laundry detergent you use. Many have brighteners that actually glow in some light spectrums.
Basically what works for you may make little to no difference to many animals. For most blue is the color to be avoided.
I've used woodland cam netting on a baren dirt road and had Fox walk up very close, less than twenty feet.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Spike

Chuck, 😊

thanks for your detailed response. 👍🏼 Interesting thing with that fox!

I'm realizing that I'm not just trying to camou from animals, but I also don't want other hunters seeing my hide from a distance — so yeah, the camou has to work for both animals and humans. 👍🏼

Matthias

Old 12-30-2020, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JungleShooter
Chuck, 😊

thanks for your detailed response. 👍🏼 Interesting thing with that fox!

I'm realizing that I'm not just trying to camou from animals, but I also don't want other hunters seeing my hide from a distance — so yeah, the camou has to work for both animals and humans. 👍🏼

Matthias
Military camo netting is fairly inexpensive if you shop around, I've even seen it on Amazon. Enough to cover a blind isn't going to be all that heavy. The kind with the camo attached (interwoven) with a cord net is easier to work with.
A thought, if there are other hunters around you have to keep the possibility of incoming rounds in mind.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

well,. if you leave it out in the sun a long time it will fade lighter LOL
I am also sure adding some bleach to it will speed this process up, but then will take a while to get rid of the bleach odor!(good thing its winter and you have MONTHS to air it out if you wish to try this)

spray painting and other things will also add odor to it, so heads up, I think you would be better off with INK DYE over paints too!
it will be more absorbed into materials over just coating them!

now cheaper things I have done that worked well for me,
that I I have done to get both rid of scent and a more natural looking blind is
I have made large mud puddles, mix well so all water is muddy, and placed the blind in the muddy water, on every side and top
and then let it dry in the sun
most of the dirt then sticks to the blind material and adds a more natural look IMO
in places it rains often, well, it won't last long, but in a dry place it should last a while

all depends too maybe on how long you plan to leave the blind set up
, as in set up every hunt or a few days in a row
or do you wish to leave it out for weeks or so?/

Other wise I would agree camo netting might be a better option than trying to paint or DYE it another color

a sits a LOT easier to make a LIGHT color darker, than a dark color lighter!

and just a FYI< they do sell blinds in colors lighter to blend into where your at saving you a lot of time and effort,and maybe even costs, as have to buy materials and your time, to TRY and change this one?

Old 12-31-2020, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you want to make the popup blind a permanent blind. If that's the case, have you considered using some natural materials from in the field and simply bringing some kind of portable roof with you?
Old 12-31-2020, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brush it in with natural vegetation.