Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scope opinions

Old 10-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Spike

Default Scope opinions

I purchased a Leupold 3-9x40 freedom muzzle loader/ shotgun scope for my Remington 870 cantilevered slug gun and was wondering on opinions I usually don’t shoot deer over 100 yds and sometimes sit and walk in thicker woods is it just me or do you think that scope is over powered for my needs. It’s a really nice scope but I’m second guessing not getting something with a lower power thanks.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

I hunt mostly thick nasty stuff. And 3x is plenty low enough for me. And I like having the ability to crank it up higher as well. Pennsylvania has antler restrictions so it's nice at times to have the ability to crank the scope up and have one last nice good look at a buck before taking the shot.

-Jake
Old 10-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

I do have a 2-7x32 Nikon on a shotgun though now that I think about it. But I think if you practice quick acquisition through your set-up you should be fine.

-Jake
Old 10-20-2019, 04:01 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply I hunt in NH which is probably close to the same type of woods as you in PA. We don’t have the antler restriction you have but I see what your saying it is nice to beable to crank it up to look around when on stand. I think I’ll just have to practice fast target acquisition like you said for the deer that jump up quick.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

seems like this will always be a personal choice
I tend to have much higher power scopes on most of my rifles and never found them to hinder me with shots rather close, so, 3x or 4x is to me just fine for shots 10 yards and more
but experience with using scope can matter, some find it harder to find things in scopes than others, to me after so many yrs, its rather natural, second nature like to lift/shoulder a rifle
and find my target in my scope almost as fast as I can with open sights!
so maybe it comes down to your skill with a scope, period over what model will work, in general!
two of my custom slug guns, have 4.5x14's on them! and very happy with there set up

I would wonder/worry more about what the eye relief is, as I sen a LOT of folks get hit in the eye socket when going to scopes on shotguns over the yrs
Old 10-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Spike

Ya I experienced with scopes but I wouldn’t call myself a professional shooter.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nhdeerhunter27
Ya I experienced with scopes but I wouldn’t call myself a professional shooter.
well then you would know the answer to your question better than any of us ever could
as we have NO clue what your experience level is?
IF you shoulder a rifle FAST and find your target in it in
then the scope you have is fine, if you cannot, then, either you need a lower power scope with a wider field of view,
or more time behind a scope finding things in them
or BOTH!

it all comes down to YOUR comfort level
a 4 X scope is fine for pretty darn close shots and 9 x os pretty good for shots any shot gunner should be taking!
so the scope is actually FINE< it now comes down to what your comfortable with and able to use!
Old 10-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Spike

You make some good points I think I’m gonna stick with what I have and just practice and touch up on acquiring close targets faster with a scope. Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

your welcome, and as they practice makes perfect LOL
so never hurts to do more of it
Old 10-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

All three of my scoped rifles have scopes that bottom out at 3x, and I have never taken an animal at over 55 yards. While 2x might be kinda nice, I think that 3x will be fine. Its not too hard to acquire targets quickly at 3x, and being able to zoom to 9x can be nice (though I've never needed to do it).

As you probably know, 3x-9x scopes are VERY popular, and with good reason. If its an otherwise nice scope, I'd say stick with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.