Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
What does it typically cost to rent a UTV (side by side)? >

What does it typically cost to rent a UTV (side by side)?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What does it typically cost to rent a UTV (side by side)?

Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dave_Preston
Public lands for deer for me.
If I read correctly that you’re used to Idaho and will be moving to Indiana, I agree you’re going to be disappointed with your ability to sustain this paradigm. Idaho is over 70% public lands. Indiana is under 5%. There are also 4 times as many people in Indiana as Idaho, stuffed into less than half as much area. I’m not saying public land hunting in Indiana is impossible, but it is VERY different than doing so in western states.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Something to realize, which most non-hunters wouldn’t intuit, but seems to be a critical failing of your plan.

You do not want your blood tracking dog to be on the deer immediately, or even remotely soon after the deer is shot. If you need a dog, it is because the deer didn’t go down quickly, which likely means a less-than-optimal shot placement. You might need to wait half a day before even starting to track, else your “tracking” dog will become a “chasing” dog. Deer need time to die on a poorly placed shot, and starting on the trail too early will bump them out of their bedding and make them run farther.

It’s a critical and absolute mistake to start tracking too soon.

That extra travel time back to retrieve your dog might be extra energy, but it’s certainly not lost or wasted time.
also something to consider is a deer's nose is KEYED into smelling for dogs?
so just having a dog near you, even in the truck will highly lessen your odds of killing a deer, as you will have way more DOG scent on you, that deer will smell from a LONG ways off, and thus avoid you due to being able to smell your dog on you!
plus, a deer tracking dog must be a extremely well trained dog at tracking deer, and in some places they are required to be registered as one, and or at least ALWAYS be on a leash when tracking
and NOT all states allow a dog to be used for tracking deer!
so make sure you check state laws before using on!
Old 04-16-2019, 03:36 AM
Dominant Buck

All my "gear" is carried in my day pack. When and if I get an animal down the distance and size of the deer determine what I do next. Most of the time I field dress and drag them out. For someone with disabilities an ATV would make life easier and permission would be needed to use that tool on private land here in Vt. Motorized vehicles aren't allowed on state land here. As far as a tracking dog that isn't something I have ever even seen around these parts. The likelihood of even needing one is pretty remote. 99 percent of deer shot should be able to be recovered on the scene by the hunter.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-16-2019 at 03:38 AM.