Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Looking for New Boots and Opinions >

Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Old 03-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
  • I don't even know what to say about your post that would not get me banned.
No..I'm not going post any graphic YouTube videos of headless chickens running around...

But I did find this music video in my search --- Thanks

Old 03-09-2019, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Erno86
Dunno bout you...but just about 95 percent of the gobblers that I've shot with a shotgun, have tried to spur me; after I stepped on the neck of the downed bird just after I shot him. I do it as insurance in case he's just knocked-out by a pellet --- He'll start to flap his wings on his back an go to town with them spurs --- Bout 7 years ago --- on the public hunting land where I hunt... another hunter told me he'd just seen a guy that tried to pick-up a just-shot tom by the legs. The tom raked his arms with his spurs, with copious amounts of blood spewing out & down his arms.

Or...

Have you ever heard of "chickens running around after there heads were cut-off"???

Source:

"Why do headless chickens run"
Well that explains it then. You're just making them mad instead of killing them. No wonder they wanna spur you.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm saying that...Gore Tex lined (or something similar) boots has been a real game changer on the outdoorsman scene --- With more game animals being harvested because of it. All of mine leak...so I might be out hunting for a new pair of Gore Tex Snake boots before turkey season rolls around.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 03-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm saying that...Gore Tex lined (or something similar) boots has been a real game changer on the outdoorsman scene --- With more game animals being harvested because of it. All of mine leak...so I might be out hunting for a new pair of Gore Tex Snake boots before turkey season rolls around.
Okay. If I am following your convoluted storyline properly...

You shoot turkeys with shots that obviously aren't kill shots because the toms spur you. Because toms attack you with their spurs after you shoot them (I can see why they might be a little ticked off here), you wear snake boots to protect against the preventable spur attacks. Because of all of these spur attacks, your snake boots now leak and you need to replace them or risk snake slobbers. Or something like that. Dude, I think you belong in a Dilbert cartoon or something similar. I have never heard of anybody having all of these problems turkey hunting. Most guys would admit they're funnin' people but somehow I think you're dead (no pun intended) serious here.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Anyone buying that nonsense?
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
Okay. If I am following your convoluted storyline properly...

You shoot turkeys with shots that obviously aren't kill shots because the toms spur you. Because toms attack you with their spurs after you shoot them (I can see why they might be a little ticked off here), you wear snake boots to protect against the preventable spur attacks. Because of all of these spur attacks, your snake boots now leak and you need to replace them or risk snake slobbers. Or something like that. Dude, I think you belong in a Dilbert cartoon or something similar. I have never heard of anybody having all of these problems turkey hunting. Most guys would admit they're funnin' people but somehow I think you're dead (no pun intended) serious here.
My aimpoint with a shotgun for gobblers is the waddles (just below the head on the neck). If he gets hit in the head with a pellet...he could be either brain dead or just knocked out. Either way...his heart is still beating and the majority of his neural pathways still functioning. Figure it out yourself.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

It just keeps getting worse!
Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I used Danner Acadia boots for years as a duty boot. The Acadia is an awesome boot. The local cobbler was able to install new soles on the boots when they wore out after a few years (you do a lot of walking on concrete, etc. in Patrol. I haven't tried the Pronghorn but it looks like a brown version of the Acadia and I would expect similar results in longevity, etc. I did buy a pair of Danner Alsea boots a few years back for deer hunting. The very back end of the boot above the heel had a rough spot that I was not able to get rid of or make work. YMMV but I would check the boots out thoroughly before the end of any return policy if you buy a pair.
Anymore I look at the sole, the new improved Vibram soles just don't hold up like the older ones do/did. The one-piece molded soles don't seem to wear as well either and I've had some separate (come unbonded).

I check out the lining in my boots, the lining seems to be the biggest difference in quality and price. If the liner is done right the inside of the boot will mold to your foot.

Comfort has become a big deal for me as I've gotten older. I always did have tender feet and ankles after a few injuries that were never quite right again. Comfort, water resistance, warmth, sole life, hard to find it all in one package. Meindl came close with their climbers boots (Perfekt), but those things are bricks and are really heavy.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My aimpoint with a shotgun for gobblers is the waddles (just below the head on the neck). If he gets hit in the head with a pellet...he could be either brain dead or just knocked out. Either way...his heart is still beating and the majority of his neural pathways still functioning. Figure it out yourself.
I have figured it out. I don't get spurred by toms I shoot and kill. I have never heard of a turkey just being "knocked out" by a shotgun shot to the head. Several questions come to mind from your above information. How far are you shooting these turkeys? What size and type of shot? What gun and choke? Have you patterned your gun? Do you anticipate your shots? I'm sure there are other relevant questions but these should begin to give you an answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.