Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Anyone wearing Muck Boots?

Old 09-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I need them to hold up to the Pennsylvania rocks and the thickets and brush that grow up in the clear cuts and power lines I hunt on often .

So maybe the muck Boots aren't a good choice.
-Jake
I wear mine through briars,hedge,locust etc. and it not too bad but if a short hedge thorn catches the neoprene it will put a hole in it.

Barbed wire fence and neoprene are not friends at all.

Maybe you should look into xtratuf.....then let me know how they hold up
Old 09-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Neoprene pulls your socks down?
? May be I haven't worn any like that after all. I'm think just different sorts of what we always called barn boots. I've worn a lot of different brands but nothing I'd ever call neoprene. Is that really any different?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
? May be I haven't worn any like that after all. I'm think just different sorts of what we always called barn boots. I've worn a lot of different brands but nothing I'd ever call neoprene. Is that really any different?
Oh yeah, at least for me the neoprene is a game changer as far as comfort. Neoprene is the stuff the thick waders are made of, muck boots and many other brands now use it inside of boots. I can wear ankle socks all day in mine and be extremely comfortable.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here you go, this is mine after several years of pretty hard use. As you can see Ive worn the tread almost completely off of them.

I was actually happy with the time I got out of them but i think there is some chance involved. A guy could snag the neoprene up on day 1 with some bad luck. These boots have climbed a LOT of fences and I think that is what did most of the damage to the neoprene but I can't be sure as often I didn't notice until later.

I did go right out and buy another pair so I guess that is the real proof of what I thought of them overall. Great boots but you sacrifice a little durability for comfort and your probably looking at buying new every couple years if you use them hard.

Last edited by rockport; 09-09-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Oh yeah, at least for me the neoprene is a game changer as far as comfort. Neoprene is the stuff the thick waders are made of, muck boots and many other brands now use it inside of boots. I can wear ankle socks all day in mine and be extremely comfortable.
Thanks! I guess I'll have to try some of those.

I had a pair of LaCross Iceman boots that were leather lace up with a rubber bottom. I loved those things to death. They lasted several years even though I wore them until my feet were literally sticking through the bottom.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

its a mistake to use nearly smooth pac type boots, on icy slopes I found that out the hard way trying to use the hunt boots that worked well on flat ground.

Id caution the use of that style foot-ware in some areas, while they are great in fairly flat areas, like florida,
they can get you seriously hurt in steep rocky and icy terrain, like snow covered slopes in colorado.
I purchased a set just to use in camp and tried them one day rather than the regular hunting boots with serious cleat soles
BIG mistake, I found I slipped several times on steeper snow and mud slopes
if your dealing with snow, ice or mud on steep terrain Id avoid them like the plague
get decent ankle support and cleat traction soles

Last edited by hardcastonly; 09-10-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
Thanks! I guess I'll have to try some of those.

I had a pair of LaCross Iceman boots that were leather lace up with a rubber bottom. I loved those things to death. They lasted several years even though I wore them until my feet were literally sticking through the bottom.
No problem, Might as well. It don't cost anything to try a pair on.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I wear a pair of over the calf compression socks and a second pair of wool socks. The compression socks I bought from Wal-Greens drug store. The Wool are from Duluths Trading..
I last all day in my Woodland mucks.
Also like the extended heel as they are easy to get off standing while using a boot jack.

I did experience a few neoprene tears/holes. Patched those wuickly with some silicone.
kept me dry and comfortable.
Worth the money to me as I got five yrs worth out of the first pair. Bought my second two yrs ago.

JW
Old 09-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think I'd plan on wearing those Lacross Iceman boots in Florida much. I bought them for ice fishing and then wore them the rest of the way out hunting the hills of southern Indiana. Never got cold feet with those.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Rock,
those xtratuf are some ugly boots.
​​​​​​i think I'm gonna try a pair of the muck Boots .

If I don't like them, I'll try something different when they wear out.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.