Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Pelican Storm

Old 01-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pelican Storm

Not long ago I needed a good quality single rifle case and bought a Pelican Storm 3410. It was not inexpensive but you get what you pay for with the Nalpak products. I think it was somewhere around $200.

I wanted a good one and could not find a better single rifle case. The SKB cases looked well built and sturdy but the Pelican did not cost too much more and I liked it just a little bit better. It is not lightweight so thankfully it has wheels. It is extremely tough and very well padded.

Baggage handlers are very hard on luggage particularly rifle cases. A few years ago I had a nice double rifle case destroyed by an airline. Luckily the contents were not hurt. These days I usually travel with an indestructible Tuffpak, but this Pelican Storm case is so tough I am not afraid at all to fly with it when I need a smaller case.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have an SKB hard case and I really like it. It is very well made and the price on them is decent.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does your SKB have wheels? That was the deciding factor for me, otherwise I would have saved $50 and bought the SKB. These heavy duty single cases weigh nearly 20 lbs. empty so I think they might be a chore hauling them around an airport if you are wrestling with other luggage.

I nearly always travel with my wife and she does not pack lightly! I am that poor long-suffering fellow that you see in line with a 50 lb. rolling suitcase, a 50 lb. rolling Tuffpak (two rifles), and a medium rolling carry-on perched awkwardly on top of the suitcase, standing beside a small woman with the her little rolling carry-on and her purse. Traveling with one rifle is easier for me, but it has to have those wheels.

The SKB cases I considered were very nice indeed.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

No it doesn't have wheels, it has a center handle on the side that opens so it balances nicely when carried. I really like the fact that it has three very strong latches and two places to run a pad lock through. I drive everywhere I hunt, I don't mind driving and I hate flying anymore so I don't have to carry any further than to my truck and from my truck. I can see wheels would be a plus if you are going to fly with it.