Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Samsung galaxy s5 active

Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Samsung galaxy s5 active

Well a lot of us are quicker to give bad reviews than good reviews so I try to make sure to give good reviews when warranted.

I was out crappie fishing Saturday and I went for my bag to get a new jig and my phone was on top of the tackle bag and overboard it went. Usually my phone is with my wallet etc. in a water proof bag but I was waiting for my wife to call so I could head back to the boat ramp and pick up my daughter and take her fishing while my wife went to a concert. Anyway when my phone went overboard I only had about 15 minutes before my wife was supposed to call(needed to leave) so I had to head back to the boat ramp. At that point I kind of just wrote the phone off as a loss. The next day I took my nephew and his dad out fishing and we decided to go see if we could find my phone 24 hours after it went overboard. My nephew got in the water and after about 20 minutes he found it. He handed it back in the boat and it was still on and working. I took the back off and battery out and left it in front of a fan over night and it has no problems at all.

I was very impressed so I thought I would share.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

About 2 years ago I dropped my Samsung cell phone into a full cup of coffee. I pulled it out and took out the battery and dumped out the coffee and put it into a bowl and covered it with rice and left it sit for 2 days because someone told me one time that was what to do if your cell phone ever got wet.. I don't even know what model it is, just a slide open phone, not a smart phone. I didn't have much faith that it would ever work again. Well I am still using it today. However, being in the water overnight and then is still on and working when it came out of the water is really something. Perhaps if you contacted Samsung, you could get paid to do a TV commercial.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
About 2 years ago I dropped my Samsung cell phone into a full cup of coffee. I pulled it out and took out the battery and dumped out the coffee and put it into a bowl and covered it with rice and left it sit for 2 days because someone told me one time that was what to do if your cell phone ever got wet.. I don't even know what model it is, just a slide open phone, not a smart phone. I didn't have much faith that it would ever work again. Well I am still using it today. However, being in the water overnight and then is still on and working when it came out of the water is really something. Perhaps if you contacted Samsung, you could get paid to do a TV commercial.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it...I was really just hoping to recover information off of it. The best part is the guy that was with me gave me hell all day then dropped his phone on Monday and broke it while mine is good to go.

Last edited by rockport; 05-17-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Karma maybe.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

How deep in water was your phone?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
How deep in water was your phone?
Not real deep, maybe 3-3.5 feet.......crappie are spawning.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Spike

That's amazing you found it the next day and even more so that it was still working. Good to know,thx
Old 10-14-2017, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default GoPro Hero 5

After I almost messed up my phone, I started bringing my Go Pro in the field - completely waterproof.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by theoutdoordirection
After I almost messed up my phone, I started bringing my Go Pro in the field - completely waterproof.
So is the Samsung Galaxy S5. The i7 is claimed to be waterproof, but is really water resistant, and nearly waterproof.

And in Rockport's case - a guy can't make phone calls from a GoPro...

I started using Lifeproof phone cases when I had my iphone 4 several years ago, and still use one on my i7. I used to do a lot of swimming (4 days a week, usually 5 miles swam) to stay in shape, and I would leave my phone at the end of the lane at the bottom of the pool as my stop watch. My phones have literally spent hundreds of hours underwater, and I've yet to have one get wet or fail.

When I'm ON the water, rather than in it, as in bow fishing, fishing, kayaking, etc... I have a "floaty" cover for my cases, such if I drop them, I don't have to waste time searching - they just ride along the surface.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:43 PM
Spike

I would get a Go Pro Hero 5 Session for filming out in the woods. Completely waterproof in a small design. Tons of accessories for mounting to gun, bow, or stand. And you can connect them to your phone if you want to view images before you take pictures/video.

https://www.theoutdoordirection.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.