Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Herter's Shooting Bench opinions? >

Herter's Shooting Bench opinions?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Herter's Shooting Bench opinions?

Old 12-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, that sounds like the police ranges I've shot at. They work very well.

I was curious if anybody has used one of these portable benches and what they've experienced with regard to stability, usefulness in making shots at different distances and angles and even how hot does it get in the sun over several hours shooting time.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cal, obviously you have to sit it on relatively flat ground but I never had any stability problems. I have also never have had it in the sun so long that it get hot, it is covered in a heavy corduroy nylon. Mine has the gun rest yoke like the one pictured at the bottom of the ad, it appears they have changed it a bit on the one in the main picture but the one on mine is adjustable for height and angle of fire. I sometimes take mine to my club range because we have one 25 yd bench in the open and two one hundred yard benches under roof. There are two target frames so if two of us are sighting in at 25 taking my bench makes it possible to do that, it also allows me to shoot at 50 yards before moving back to 100 yards. I have to carry the bench about 40 yards to get on the range and it is not too heavy to do that but it is heavy enough not to wobble around when I plant my substantial weight on it. I bought it on sale from Cabelas for I think for $140.00 on sale about 6 years or so ago. I find it useful and don't regret the purchase. I actually like it better than the wooden benches at my club. If you have a Cabelas near you in I would suggest just going to the store and checking it out in person.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-04-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks OT. That helps a lot for me. The specific application I was considering is in alfalfa fields up north where you can shoot beldings ground squirrels all day long. I'll probably get one of those portable gazebo style canopies but was wondering if that's an absolute must for the sun.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, I never needed a shooting bench at a public range

But I've needed a target where there were no targets available. The target was a diy type, but I did need something else.

A hand truck !!!!

Guys at this one range would have their jaws agape when I showed up at the range with the hand truck. And make the trip, once, from the vehicle, 100 yards away. I'd be hauling boxes containing rifles, ammunition box, items for the shooting bench available and the target, all loaded on the HAND TRUCK.

A great one time buy by the wife for moving furniture. Ha!!!

Last edited by Valentine; 12-04-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I remember the Herter's name

From decades ago. I recall it went out of business.

Now the current owner of the name , is going out of business, by selling the company.
Now I have to remember that.