HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Herter's Shooting Bench opinions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/410416-herters-shooting-bench-opinions.html)

handles II 11-30-2016 09:47 AM

Herter's Shooting Bench opinions?

Has anyone bought or used this product? The current sale price seems pretty good and is right in my Cabela's points budget. Lots of good reviews overall. Curious if anyone here has experience with it and an opinion for the rest of us that might be looking into this type of product? Thanks!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HERTE...CH/2201557.uts

GOOD OLE BOY 11-30-2016 03:54 PM

I was gonna post the same thing.I too seen the ad.I seen some good reviews and bad.One person contacted the Co.about breakin off the support for the rifle and they told him no replacement parts are available.I,m thinkin of just usin a standard table or makin one and just use sand bags as I have been or get a lead sled.

handles II 12-01-2016 06:31 AM

I kind of figured the same, if it would happen to break, it would be easy to just use bags yet still have a nice solid platform that is easy to carry and store.

Any other opinions out there??

Topgun 3006 12-01-2016 07:58 AM

If anyone wants to order anything from Cabelas with their Cabelas credit card they have a one day free shipping deal going on for today only with no minimum purchase required. The promo code is 16CLUB1

GOOD OLE BOY 12-01-2016 03:33 PM

For some things that would be fine.But with a bench with unknown quality and construction I,d want to see it before I slapped down my plastic.

Oldtimr 12-02-2016 12:14 PM

I have had one for several years and I like it. I have had no problems with it at all. It really isn't all that complicated that it could not be fixed even if you could not get parts.

alleyyooper 12-03-2016 03:18 AM

I made my own shooting bench from Internet plans for a booger bench. I have about $30.00 into mine. $20.00 were for the folding legs, rest is lumber and stain.

Yes the balance point is really the forward hand holds. I didn't believe the plans when I built it.

Yes I built the rifle rest also.

:D Al

CalHunter 12-03-2016 03:34 PM

Too bad the sale price is over. TG, which shooting bench did you have and what did you like and not like about it? I'm also considering getting one for ground squirrel shooting.

Oldtimr 12-03-2016 04:04 PM

Cal, I have the Herter's bench from Cabelas that is in the op under "you may also like" beneath the one for $179.00. It is shown for $169.00 but I paid less than that on sale. I like it because it is stable, the seat distance from the table is adjustable and it fold flat so I can hang it on my garage wall without taking up a lot of space. The only thing I don't like about it or I would change is the way it opens and closes, it is a bit of a pain, but not enough so I regret buying it.

Topgun 3006 12-03-2016 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4283906)
Too bad the sale price is over. TG, which shooting bench did you have and what did you like and not like about it? I'm also considering getting one for ground squirrel shooting.

I don't have one of my own Cal, as the Club has great solid wood setups under cover on cement where 10-12 people can shoot at a time. It has a red light that goes on so there are no accidents when people want to go down range to the targets, etc. I usually go during the day and there are never more than one or two other people there. It has big earthen berms at 50, 75, 100, 200, and 300 yards with wood setups to staple your targets to. It is 12 miles up there though and a lot of times I go right outside of town to a small setup the DNR has on public ground with several cement benches, but it only has a 50 yard backstop for handguns and a 100 yard one for shotguns and rifles. The Club operation is exceptionally clean, while the open state operation is always a mess with slobs shooting at everything they bring out that isn't allowed out there (computers, small TV sets, etc.) because all the DNR does is empty the trash cans and there is no daily oversight of the place.