Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Help me choose a folding knife >

Help me choose a folding knife

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help me choose a folding knife

Old 09-06-2016, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Regardless of what you get the most inportant thing is to keep you knife sharp because a sharp knife is the safest and a dull knofe is dangerous.
I have bald spots on both forearms from testing my knife to make sure it is sharp enough to shave with.

I used to laugh every time the master hunter who taught me, went to gut a Deer. It always looked like he was using a dull butter knife. I'd tap him om the shoulder and give him mine. He was old as dirt and had never learned how to sharpen a knife.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone for your replies and sorry I'm answering so late, I was busy with work

So many of you recommended the Buck 110 and it seems really solid. I'm still not decided yet. Gotta research more about the Buck 110, so it will probably be a battle between this one and the Benchmade knife mentioned in my first post.

I will post my decision when I take one
Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The blade of a Buck 110 is too long and pointy? That can be fixed as someone did on mine before it came to me. Use it for a screwdriver and you will likely lose a quarter inch of so of the tip. A grinding wheel completes the transition.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find myself in the market for a pocket clip folder lately too. I carried an Old Timer for many years as a kid, moved up to a larger lockback Case knife in 7th or 8th grade (still have it, still great) and carried it for 6-7yrs... got a Scharade Clip-hanger which I carried for about a decade (who knew they'd X-ray you going to see the Liberty Bell?)... then I took a few years where I carried cheap chicom "Winchester" folders (still have a bunch of them, surprisingly good steel)... My latest knife was a free Kershaw Kuro I won in a raffle, good steel to keep an edge, but I don't love tanto points, lost it a few weeks ago out of the pocket of my dress slacks playing on swings at a park with my boy... (Trust me - arriving at home an hour and a half away and realizing I'd lost my pocket knife AT A PLAYGROUND gave me pause - wasn't there when I went back)...

So now I'm looking... Love spring assist opening, and I've been carrying Liner-locks for ~almost 20yrs, so that's what I'll be getting. Rarely use it for anything more than pulling splinters, but I do like having a half serrated blade... Not a clip point or tanto point fan, but want a little more point than a really round drop point.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:26 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I carry a Smith Weson spring assisted Black Ops folding knife and use the pocket clip as a money clip. Simple flick and he retake my money!

Knife has nice weight to it. All metal frame...and holds an exacto knife edge.

JW
Old 09-25-2016, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hard to beat a good case knife. Holds a good edge. I use mine daily
Old 10-22-2016, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not big on knives

Carried a folding knife for the past 15 years. Found it in the woods. Not an expensive one.
As long as I can shapen a knife on my Arkansas stones, it's a keeper. Self shapening rules my roost.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
Carried a folding knife for the past 15 years. Found it in the woods. Not an expensive one.
As long as I can shapen a knife on my Arkansas stones, it's a keeper. Self shapening rules my roost.
What knife in the world cannot be self sharpened? An Ark stone will sharpen any steel blade, a diamond hone will sharpen even ceramic blades.

This is just silly. Some days, old timer...
Old 10-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

This is a dangerous topic for a knife junky.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The best knife info; I gave it to myself

After I purchased my first knife, I took it to a professional knife sharpener.
Learned his method using stones.
From that time on, my favorite hobby was sharpening knives, axes, lawn mower blades, archery blades, fishing hooks, among others.
My great joy is sharpening inexpensive knives. I haven't lost an expensive knife in forty years.
A tri-stone arkansas stones is my favorite . Better than the knives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.