Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Help me choose a folding knife >

Help me choose a folding knife

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help me choose a folding knife

Old 08-26-2016, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have carried a Buck 110 for many years, both as a hunting knife and for utility, it is a great knife. I use it daily when something needs cutting, sometime I have abused it in a rush. The blade is still tight and the lock still works. You can get one of these for less then $40, If I lost mine I would buy another.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Buck 110 for me and has been that way for many years. Folds up nice and small to go in a belt sheath, holds an edge and is easy to sharpen. If you want to spend a bit more Cabelas has some 110's made by Buck that have better steel.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Buck 110 for me and has been that way for many years. Folds up nice and small to go in a belt sheath, holds an edge and is easy to sharpen. If you want to spend a bit more Cabelas has some 110's made by Buck that have better steel.
A couple of things I disliked about the 110.

It has no hole for a lanyard. A short lanyard on your folder makes it a dandy sap. I prefer options.

Secondly the shape is a little wrong to use it closed in your closed fist as a weighted force multiplier. Like I said, I prefer options.

The real weak points of the 110 are the tip is vulnerable and the shape of the tip can dig in when splitting the stomach area on game. And unless they have improved it, the hinge wears, the blade gets sloppy. And unless they have improved it, the lock spring gets weak. I've worn out a number of 110's.

I do use my pocket folder more than most people, I did a quick calculation. I pull it out of my pocket, open it, cut something and return it to my pocket around 24,000 times (conservatively) in a ten year period.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-27-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck

It has no hole for a lanyard. A short lanyard on your folder makes it a dandy sap. I prefer options.

Secondly the shape is a little wrong to use it closed in your closed fist as a weighted force multiplier. Like I said, I prefer options.

The real weak points of the 110 are the tip is vulnerable and the shape of the tip can dig in when splitting the stomach area on game. And unless they have improved it, the hinge wears, the blade gets sloppy. And unless they have improved it, the lock spring gets weak. I've worn out a number of 110's.

I do use my pocket folder more than most people, I did a quick calculation. I pull it out of my pocket, open it, cut something and return it to my pocket around 24,000 times (conservatively) in a ten year period.
I use mine to gut deer. I only wish I needed it as many times as you.lol

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-28-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heck I'm not even sure if they make them any more but I have a Buck Selector. It has interchangeable blades. For mine I have the drop point blade, a gutting blade and a saw.
I've owned this knife for about 25 years and before that I used a Kabar folding knife with 2 blades. One for gutting the other was a swept blade for skinning. Both are still good solid knives.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Have had a Buck 110 for about 40 years now.
I will have to agree, got mine when I was about 18 and a friend was going to the air force base and got me one for about $15 back around 1975/76
Bill
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Heck I'm not even sure if they make them any more but I have a Buck Selector. It has interchangeable blades. For mine I have the drop point blade, a gutting blade and a saw.
I've owned this knife for about 25 years and before that I used a Kabar folding knife with 2 blades. One for gutting the other was a swept blade for skinning. Both are still good solid knives.
Ebay about $75- $90
Bill
Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

I have carried and used the Buck 110 for many years and it has performed well for me. Yes it has it's drawbacks but they are minor compared to it/s usefulness. When skinning I use a Ulu knife I got in Alaska. For a first knife you can not go wrong with the 110.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck

I have a 3 3/4" Bucklite that has gutted an average of 6 deer every year for the last 25 years. It was the el cheapo model of the 110 with a plastic handle. Holds an edge like crazy and unless you have a nervous habit of continually opening and closing your knife it should last you a lifetime of deer hunting. I have only ever owned one Gerber knife and I must have had bad luck as it didn't hold an edge. I also owned an outdoor edge sling blade that I was pretty impressed with.....good knife until it was stolen.
So for the money.....hands down Buck Knife.

Willy
Old 09-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm putting in my 2 cents worth and saying go with a Buck folder but not the 110. I think those are too pointy too. I suggest you look at the 112 that has a blade about 3/4" shorter and that makes it less pointy. It's a well built knife and has a laifetime warranty. Of course it is a Buck so it will hold an edge. I recommend an edge of 25-degrees for all around use.

You will get your best prices online. Regardless of what you get the most inportant thing is to keep you knife sharp because a sharp knife is the safest and a dull knofe is dangerous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.