Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Camo designer

Old 06-07-2016, 07:05 AM
Spike

Default Camo designer

Has anyone ever tried to start their own camo pattern? Just curious as to how you would go about doing something like that.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

To make a small fortune coming up with a new camo pattern, start with a large fortune. Seriously, I really can't see where with all the choices we have today in good camo patterns that the cost of trying to market a new one would be a worth while venture cost wise.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Spike

So true oldtimr! There are so many choices out there! I was just curious as to how they actually printed the design on the fabric? I was more interested in making a few items for friends and family. I just can't wrap my head around it. Any ideas?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

You could probably silk screen the design on plain cloth. The hard part would be making the silk screens. Actually silk screening doesn't require that much equipment.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Spike

Thanks oldtimr I'll try that!!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Contract it done. You're at a place where you have a choice - either:

1) Spend a lot of time to learn a lot of new things about something you know nothing, spend a lot of money getting set up, and potentially screw up many times along the way...

OR

2) Spend a little cash up front and pay someone who knows what they are doing and successfully does so every day to do it for you...
Old 06-08-2016, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Buy a computerized textile printing machine. Its works much like a paper coping machine
Old 06-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Swamp787
Has anyone ever tried to start their own camo pattern? Just curious as to how you would go about doing something like that.

hi,Swamp787,

i tried to make my own camo pattern as realtree and mossy oak is too expensive for license. i finished the patterns including brown camo, green camo, snow camo and blaze in this May. frankly speaking,it is quite complicated and requires lots of Photoshop works.

generally speaking, it will use around 6 to 8 colors to print a nice camo pattern( i.e. 8 colors for realtree or mossy oak) , and in order to make the best camo printing, we generally use heat transfer printing. firstly, we have to make one cylinder for each color and fix all the cylinders in right position on a printing machine, then the heat transfer paper can go through the machine under the cylinders one after another, in this way, we can make the heat transfer paper with colored pattern on it. then the last, another machine has to be used to transfer the pattern on the paper onto the fabric you want. 100% polyester fabric will be your best option for this kind of printing.

if you just want to make small qty for yourself, i would suggest that you design the pattern first and find out one digital printing house to help you print it out. but the color adjustment is a hard job as the printing color is definately different from your screen color.

hope my explanation can be a little bit help for you.

cheers
Old 06-12-2016, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbie trying to enter a competitive field

A newbie hunter who never operated a sewing machine.

Never been to a fabric center.

Never heard of a contract manufacturer.

Can sure rub an idea on two nickels.

Well at least some Chinamen are having a good laugh !

Last edited by Valentine; 06-12-2016 at 05:53 AM.