Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Anyone use a range finder?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Spike

Default Anyone use a range finder?

Just wondering if any of you use a range finder when go hunting. I came across this suaoki range finder on Youtube, and was surprised at its accuracy to within 1 meter! So I tapped the share button.

Any thoughts about this stuff?
Do you guys use it?
Old 02-20-2016, 03:34 AM
Banned

I usually just take an educated guess, then step off distance after I SHOOT TO SEE HOW FAR IT ACTUALLY WAS . that way I don't become reliant on electronic devices and frankly anytime I can lighten the pack and carry less, I am all for it.

have flubbed some shots over the years with this technique but I have also become very good at judging distance.

that said, I have nothing against them either.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Back in the 70's I bought a rangeing 20 20 range finder that was good out to 40 yards for bow hunting. It worked on the principal of focusing the picture, was ok to pick out objects in the shooting lanes and remembering the yardage.

Couple years ago I bought a Simmons which was on sale for Christmas for 100.00. I use it pretty much the same way find yardages to objects from my hunting blinds and remembering them.
I do carry it when coyote hunting as most sets are not done in the same places but getting ranges and remembering them is still in the repertory.

Al
Old 02-20-2016, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry mine in the truck at all times when I am out. I then range trees and rocks etc. when I am set up. I like knowing that the rock is 420 yards and the trees are 475, and the creek bottom is ???? I'm not bad at guessing, but prefer exact measurements.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never had one, as I'm pretty good at judging an animals distance out to the 300 yards that I limit myself to because of my bad eyes. With the known drop of the bullet with my rifles zeroed at 200 yards, I can hold on the animal and get the job done. I do think that they are very important in archery or for anyone shooting at what people call "long range" because then the exact distance to the target is much more critical in both instances.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

So... The video link preview showing on mine is for "how far can a blowgun shoot"... I didn't watch it.

I use a couple of cheap Bushnell rangefinders for the majority of my work, one a Bushnell Scout 1000 the other a Cabelas branded version of the same. Both have proven to be very accurate to true value, with repeatable readings, out to 400yrds on deer in almost any lighting. On trees, buildings, hillsides, etc, it'll pick up accurate measure to 1000, as advertised.

For longer range work, I have a Leica 1200 that is phenomenal. Not cheap, but it'll measure past 1000yrds on game (or at least the ground at their feet). The 1600 came out shortly after I bought my 1200, I've always intended to upgrade, but I've been well satisfied by the 1200, so I'm scantly motivated to switch.

Preparation in field is what matters most for me. Relying upon real time ranging doesn't usually pay off, but pre-mapping and landmarking the field pays back in spades.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use mine to range objects around my tree stand before the season, then I know what the yardage is before hand. When I fist got it and started to use it I was surprised that some distances were less than I thought just judging them.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Part of my standard equipment I carry.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
For longer range work, I have a Leica 1200 that is phenomenal.
Have always meant to get one of those. Have carried the Bushnell Yardage-Pro 1000 for years now and for the most part have been content. But from what I've heard...I need that Leica.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

One is none, two is one...............I carry two !

Nikon 800 is always at the ready & Bushnell 1200 in my pack for longer shots.

First thing I do once I arrive at a area when I am going to sit for a while - range stand out objects in that area so I can judge distance if an opportunity presents it's self quickly.

If I need to break-out my Bushnell I figure I have the time and I know that the distance requires a much more precise shot !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.