Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Anyone use a range finder?

Old 02-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Spike

Wink

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
So... The video link preview showing on mine is for "how far can a blowgun shoot"... I didn't watch it.
Yap, the suaoki range finder I mentioned is in the middle of the vid. Perhaps at 4'44'. Anyway.

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Preparation in field is what matters most for me. Relying upon real time ranging doesn't usually pay off, but pre-mapping and landmarking the field pays back in spades.
Can't agree more, preparation work is really important for big hunting and with the help of range finder, it can be much easier to do the preparation work.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Spike

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I've never had one, as I'm pretty good at judging an animals distance out to the 300 yards that I limit myself to because of my bad eyes. With the known drop of the bullet with my rifles zeroed at 200 yards, I can hold on the animal and get the job done. I do think that they are very important in archery or for anyone shooting at what people call "long range" because then the exact distance to the target is much more critical in both instances.
My opinion, don't leave home without a range finder. I've made the mistake of judging the distance wrong and ended up taking out the two front legs of a deer. Never again will I allow myself to cause an animal to suffer like that. It does help you get better at estimating but I'd rather know I am correct to the yard.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a leica 1200 on the hunts I make where I need one, I have ranged deer to 1210 yards with it, I need to upgrade.
RR
Old 02-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
One is none, two is one...............I carry two !

Nikon 800 is always at the ready & Bushnell 1200 in my pack for longer shots.

First thing I do once I arrive at a area when I am going to sit for a while - range stand out objects in that area so I can judge distance if an opportunity presents it's self quickly.

If I need to break-out my Bushnell I figure I have the time and I know that the distance requires a much more precise shot !
Indeed, how many yards can they measure? Do you think 660 yards (range the suaoki laser rangefinder can measure) is enough for short range hunting? I guess it could meet the requirements of most of us.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Spike

Default rangefinder

Originally Posted by AdanClinton
Just wondering if any of you use a range finder when go hunting. I came across this suaoki range finder on Youtube, and was surprised at its accuracy to within 1 meter! So I tapped the share button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nas9xiue7MI

Any thoughts about this stuff?
Do you guys use it?
I do if I am shooting in a new place. I've hunt out the same stand for so many years that I know the terrain and how far away things are.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I get into real trouble is shooting from hill to hill or across a low spot. I've blown my range guesstimate on more than a few occasions.

I'll take shots at Fox I won't take on game animals and a Fox under all that fur is a pretty small target at 400 yards.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:16 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use and carry a RXII Leopold and have for years. Love the dang thing.

JW
Old 05-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always have one in my back pack but I generally only use it at a new spot where I range several trees or stumps or rocks so I can use them for distance if a deer comes by and don't have to take the time to range the deer.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Leupold RX-600 that I use to Range things with when I'm Bow Hunting,then as several mentioned I remember the distance because usually when an Animal comes in there's no time to be messing with a Range Finded and getting the shot!

I probably use it more when Coyote Hunting to see the distances across more open Fields and to double check the distances before and after the Shot.I'm lousy at judging distances so a Range Finder was a must in my Gear Arsenal.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Spike

If I am in my regular deer stand then no. But if I am hunting in a new place then yes - they are very useful. Particularily as I hunt black powder and get one shot. I have a few reviews on my site on some of the most popular ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.