Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Game cam

Old 08-16-2015, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Game cam

Looking for a nice game cam to set up. Budget is prob. $350 tops, what are your recommendations? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

For starters - I've found that it's better to buy more units of "mid-grade" cameras than to buy fewer units of "high dollar" cameras. I dropped over $500 each on a couple of cameras that I no longer own, simply because they didn't deliver twice the value I saw in $200-250 cameras.

I always have my cameras set up for multi-shot with the maximum number of pictures, with a minimal delay between bursts, either 30sec or 1min on most models. I want pictures from multiple angles and don't want to burn up batteries before a week is over by taking 2000pics of one squirrel in 45min - these settings give me that.

I've probably made myself vulnerable to missing out on a few folks upping their game, since I went through a bunch of cams between 2005 and 2012-3ish, and largely just haven't looked at much else in the last couple years because what I found works is still working. I spent off season time hanging cams side by side or on the same trees to ground out which really get more pictures, cover more range, etc. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

The Bushnell Trophy cams are the better cams I've used, with the Moultrie's being close enough that I'll buy them when I see them on sale. The Bushnells usually get twice as many pictures of game in the same areas (again, I've hung them side by side and on the same tree), but they're more sensitive to picking up wind/rain/snow/bugs/fog and taking hundreds of pictures of nothing. The features and interface for control are better on the Bushnell as well, even though I rarely use them. The Moultries, again, are less easily fooled by nothing, but they also seem to have a longer delay and I miss a lot more game (only a tail or a nose in the pic), or get a lot less pictures of game that hangs out in front of the camera. I have the Moultrie M80's in LED and Blackout mostly (have 4 hanging this year), but have two of their 150 Panoramic cams also. I have 8 Trophy Cam's hanging this year in 5 and 8MP, blackout and LED's mixed. The Moultries might reach a little farther, I'm still a little undecided on that, but I think the range is narrower as well, and they just don't pick up as much. If I get 1000pictures a week on a Bushnell, I know I'll have 1000 pictures of game. If I get 3000pics per week on the bushnell, I know I have 500-1000pics of game, and probably 2 days of wind/rain/fog/snow that will be thousands of pics of nothing. I never get 1000pics a week on the Moultries - but I can be sure that if I get 300-500pics a week, there is game in the pics - but that might be 200pics of tails where it totally missed the animal.

For $350, you'll be able to pick up two of either of these on sales - and more cameras are better than fewer.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Good timing on this post. I was actually thinking about picking up a couple more game cameras, myself. I was leaning toward Bushnell, but I had been thinking about Moultrie as well. Out of those two brands, have you had any dealings with customer service? Any more, quality of customer care is a pretty big factor in my decision making.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both - I had a trophy cam circuitry go bad on me after one season, bushnell sent a new one (not fixable). My first Moultrie panoramic jammed up after a freezing rain (it has a pivoting camera inside), they fixed it quick and easy as well.

I'd be lying if I said I remembered off of the top of my head what their respective warranties look like, so that might be worth looking into. Mine both failed within a year, so both were fully covered.

I have used bushnell cs for multiple other warranty repairs/replacement on other products, they've been good to work with and have honored their products well for me (scopes and rangefinders).
Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

I like the Browning sub micro series. I have one and it's pretty good. I also have a stealth cam g30 that I got on sale for 75. That's a pretty good camera for the price. I'd agree with others and get multiple cameras rather than one really expensive camera, that way you can layout more around the area you hunt.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

The most I've spent on a camera is $120. I just can't make myself drop $200, etc. on a camera. I've had multiple WGI cameras, all under $100 that have done an outstanding job. I've also had a few Primo's & Moultrie cams most under $100 & 1 being $120. Primo's cams have been great cams, but I haven't had the best of luck with Moultrie. If it was me, I'd definitely buy multiple cameras for the price of 1 that's in your price range. Multiple camera spots on your property beats only having 1 camera spot IMO.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I've got 3 out now, just looking to purchase a NICE one!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coverts are very nice and cheap!