Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What do I buy?

Old 05-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Spike

Default What do I buy?

I am a young hunter with a part time job and not alot of money. I have $80 worth of gift cards to walmart and i need some new gear. I dont know what takes priority to buy. A turkey decoy? New arrows for the bow im buying? Bipod for my rifle? A bone saw? A blind? swivels and a strap for my shotgun? I need alot of things and on the walmart website all of these are available.... I need to use these cards before they expire. What is your opinion? What is the thing or things i need?

THANKYOU
Old 05-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Young man, while I appreciate your delemia, if you don't know what you need the most, how are a bunch of people who know nothing about you going to be able to tell you what you need most. Only you know what is most important to have.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

With the list you provided, I'd say swivels and a sling for your shotgun (and rifle).

Buying ammo is always money well spent !!!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Banned

well if money is an issue ,I WOULD NOT WASTE IT ON A DECOY.

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO HUNT ANY ANIMAL.
1. WEAPON AND AMMO
2.TAG, LICENSE
3. PROPER CLOTHING AND BOOTS FOR WEATHER AND TERRAIN. it is miserable hunting when you're freezing.
4. knife so you can feild dress your kill

everything else is up to your personal preferences. though I would suggest packing some TP for when nature calls. rocks and sticks will do in a pinch but it ain't my first choice
Old 05-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerSlayer267
I am a young hunter with a part time job and not alot of money. I have $80 worth of gift cards to walmart and i need some new gear. I dont know what takes priority to buy. A turkey decoy? New arrows for the bow im buying? Bipod for my rifle? A bone saw? A blind? swivels and a strap for my shotgun? I need alot of things and on the walmart website all of these are available.... I need to use these cards before they expire. What is your opinion? What is the thing or things i need?

THANKYOU
Well...
  • A turkey decoy is only useful for you if you're turkey hunting.
  • You don't really need a bone saw.
  • Most $80 blinds are not worth owning, but it'd cut the cost in half of a decent one.
  • Slings on shotguns aren't useful for most guys - I only have one for my backup shotgun when coyote hunting.
  • I wouldn't buy arrows at Walmart.
  • A bipod isn't really a high priority either.

As has been mentioned, it's hard to tell you what should be your top priority, since we're not you, and we don't know what you already have or what you really need the most.

Pretty hard to hunt without arrows if you don't have them. Nobody really needs a blind, but they sure do make life nice. Bipods can be nice, bone saws can be too. Sling on a shotgun would be my lowest priority. So knowing nothing else, I'd get the arrows if you can't afford to get proper arrows anywhere else. Second consider the blind. Bone saw is more practical than the bipod, but flip a coin if you like. If you find yourself considering a sling on a shotgun, then I'd say skip that and spend the money on ammo instead - the sling would be a waste.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nomercy,

Hard to beat hands free walking bud................. !?!?

Although, ammo is only good for one thing; shooting - very important !

Notice "Kid" said a license; good to have one of those too - LOL !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-18-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Many a turkey has been called in and harvested with out a decoy. So do you have a Call?

Even if you are hunting way back in some wilderness area you don't need a bone saw as meat can be deboned and packed out with just a really good knife. So do you have a knife?

A blind can be put together with what nature left in the area, brush, grass, trees. So you don't really need a blind to have a good hunt.

Sling for a rifle is real handy as you mostly walk from point A to the hunting spot, but with a shot gun We hunt from point A out and back to point A and a sling gets in the way.

Bipod? I have been hunting for over 50 years and never had a bipod. I hunt deer from a stand and don't want one. I hunt coyotes also and still don't want one. I much prefer a shooting stick I have made my self. I have them that are tall enough I can shoot standing, spread them out and shoot kneeling & sitting. I also have one made from golf club shafts I use when sitting and prone.

Buy arrows from a archery shop or ammo for the gun.

Al
Old 06-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default You can always use something

But you can always use something that compliments what you already bought or do.
To get through the heat of summer, I'm buying some winter accessories.
A non-hunter, not very knowlegeable, does many winter walks with me.
I'm supplying them and filling in items I can use. I'm buying items for them, for the feet, the hands, the neck and head.

Walkers are very important to me. Helps keep me in shape. so I'm ready for hunting.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Spike

I would invest in a good knife. You never know when it can come in use, even in normal everyday life. I would look at Sportsmans or Cabela's. They have good deals on knives.