Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Help finding a hooded camo rain jacket >

Help finding a hooded camo rain jacket

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help finding a hooded camo rain jacket

Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Spike

Default Help finding a hooded camo rain jacket

Hey everyone, I'm on the search for a camo rain, water, storm, resistant jacket with a hood on it. I'm finding all kinds that look good but none of them seem to have a hood. I'm not picky about brand and I'm not really picky about camo pattern either so long as it is hunter camo and not like a military camo pattern. I'd also like it to be somewhat warm. Not looking for a full blown winter coat just a jacket that is good in 45-60 degree temps with rain with just a t-shirt or light long sleeve shirt on underneath. Spending limit is about $180

So far looking at these 4 jackets:

http://www.amazon.com/10X-Waterproof.../dp/B00DWXVE7K

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-S...395281&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.com/Russell-Outdoo.../dp/B00336G494

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...3961&langId=-1

Concerned the 10x and Russell will be to warm and the Under Armor and Carhartt not warm at all. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by AndyWC; 01-04-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have a few good ones there; here is what I use.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use the MRT50 Packable rain jacket from Cabelas. While it is slightly out of your price range let me add this.
I bought this jacket in 1996. Wear if dog training, dog judging, fishing, duck hunting, turkey hunting, and deer hunting. It has held up very well in all sorts of weather. Allows me to layer as needed to stay warm and dry in all those temps I run into. And is a great wind blocker.
And the whole jacket fits into its breast pocket which makes it packable.

I certainly got my moneys worth and was well worth the price I paid.

JW
Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Spike

What temps do both of you usually wear your jackets in? Wanting something that is good for 45-60 degrees. Eithe of you know anything about the 4 I listed above? How good they are and if they are to thick and heavy or to thin and light? Want a jacket not only for hunting but for wearing to work on the farm on rainy days so I want something made tough to last as well
Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I am from WI. We see all sorts of temps from plus to minus. I have used this jacket. Thing I really like in cold weather it does not get stiff.
I have used it in downpours in Texas during June.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

I'm curious about the MTO50 rain gear also. Is it quiet?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Spike

I'm gonna add the mt050 to my list, though I'm still very curious about the 4 I listed in my original post.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Yes Cal it is quiet. It has a brushed surface which I like and does not hold burrs.

I have a pair of bibs which also are packable as the whole garment stuffs into its back pocket. I wear the bibs a lot. On temps under 30 to about 10 F I will wear a pair of poly long johns. The bibs have knee length zipper and big front pockets. They allow me to walk in wet woods. I wear them a lot even in briars grouse hunting.
Colder than that I go to a pair of heavy long johns. Now be aware I am walking. If I was sitting I'd have some heavier pants over the long johns and under the bibs as I wear them bow hunting too.

One thing I don't like. They do not have a two way zipper. Wish they did.

To comment on your other rain jacket picks. Take a good look at how far down the waist the rain jacket fits you. I'd rather have it fit way below the waist and not waist high.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Spike

Wish I could try them on before buying, unfortunately nearest place that carries any of those is 125 miles one way from my house. Awful long drive to try a jacket on. Part of the reason I came here. My main concern is not getting to hot in the temps I'm gonna be using them in but again not having to use layers to stay warm either. I've got a carhartt j131 jacket that is just thermal lined, wanting a rain jacket that is like the carhartt just rain proof or resistant.

EDIT: ok I'm seriously thinking about jumping on the 10X Men's Waterproof-Breathable Outer Systems Hooded Jacket on Amazon right now. Regularly $58 but with gift cards I can get it for $20. Has 4.3 out of 5 stars with 41 reviews on there. Says it is,

100% Polyester
Machine Wash
6 oz. 100-percent waterproof-breathable polyester brushed tricot shell with seam seal construction and sixth skin 8000mm/5000mm lamination
Diamond-quilted thinsulate insulation
Scentrex scent control lining
Contrasting stylish black accents
Detachable and adjustable 3-piece zip-off hood

I have no idea if that is all good stuff or bad stuff, so if any of you can see any reason why I shouldn't jump on this jacket please post and let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by AndyWC; 01-05-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

$20 ???

I know this is a big decision, but even if it lasts one season you've gotten your monies worth !!!

By the way, I don't have a lot of money but nothing beats having good gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.