Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting blind question

Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting blind question

This will be my first year hunting with a ground blind. Would you recommend securing the roof of the blind to a tree branch.

I know to tie off/steak the sides down etc just curious what should be done with the roof.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by theshark
This will be my first year hunting with a ground blind. Would you recommend securing the roof of the blind to a tree branch.

I know to tie off/steak the sides down etc just curious what should be done with the roof.

Thanks in advance
I never do. Mine has strings to tie down the hubs on the sides but i dont think it even has one for the top.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Spike

Mine doesn't have ties for the roof
Old 05-24-2014, 06:53 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

If your in a snow area yes they will cave in, or with a prop.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Not all will cave in with snow on them. This one of mine has what was a 19 inch snow fall on it. My amerstep's have bow pole/rods in the roof they don't cave in either.

Al
Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Haha yooper that pic makes me happy to own An Ameristep.
Great blinds all around. I once killed a chipmunk from 20 yards with my pse nova out of my Ameristep, it was awesome. Only one blade touched him but sliced his spine. Haha I always have a few "junk" arrows in my quiver for squirrels and grouse. It's a nice way to add to the bag
Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Amerstep blind are why I now build them out of wood and ad wheels and a hitch so I can tow them with the ATV.
All they need to do is ad a little material to cover the zippers so they don't freeze up after a day of snow melt and evening cooling it to freeze the zippers. I would not give you 32 Cents for a whole box car load of them.

Al
Old 05-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends on growth of trees, weeds and rainfall

Depends on when you hunt. Do you hunt with leaves on the bushes and small trees? Rain before the season greatly affects growth and conditions? Do you hunt when leaves are off the trees and low bushes, making for more open shots?

Depending on the local conditions, before hunting and during the hunt. One type of hunting doesn't fit all conditions or locales.

In some places a blind can work; in some places a climbing tree stand is better. You have to judge.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Amerstep blind are why I now build them out of wood and ad wheels and a hitch so I can tow them with the ATV.
All they need to do is ad a little material to cover the zippers so they don't freeze up after a day of snow melt and evening cooling it to freeze the zippers. I would not give you 32 Cents for a whole box car load of them.

Al
I have both styles
On my private hunting club I have a 4x8 wood box blind built on a welded frame. No way an atv could haul that sucker, I have to use the old ford jubilee. I have a regular propane tank sitting on the frame (made possible because the blind doesn't sit on the frame it's lifted)
And it snakes up in there to one of those old style metal heaters. I've never had the propane spook deer and it's a lifesaver when it's -20
I'll have to post pics, it's pretty nice.

On the other hand Ameristep blind is great if you're not leaving it sit outside.. Say for state land or stuff like that. I also use my popup for small applications like keeping the garden groundhog free.

But seems like you have the best of both worlds.
I'm building a new stationary blind soon gonna make it big. I mean big like 8x8, put it together with screws so I can move it I guess.
I'd love to see pics of ur atv and blind. Me and my pap read farm show and love seeing peoples works. We like to "tinker" as pap says lol

Oh haha and if you find a whole truck load of em for thirty some cents hit me up and we'll have an ebay sale lmao we can split it
Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Picture this with those tall lawn mower wheels on it and a 2x4 hitch sticking up in the air with two pieces of medal on the end. When Your ready to move it just tilt it down and hook to the atv. I can do it alone too.
Of course you are not going 50MPH thru the woods towing it either. It is 4'x4'.

This one is semi permanent. It is on skids and can be towed with a ATV or a 12HP lawn tractor on level ground. Frame is 2"x2" with the ply screwed to it modular style. It then can be take apart by removing a few lag screws and hauled down the road on a trailer.

No frozen zippers and I can leave it on state land locked up as long as I put the sign on it with my name and address if I want..

Al