Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Treestand gear

Old 04-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Spike

Default Treestand gear

I am going to Maine on a Black Bear Hunt in September. I plan on carrying a thermacell, flashlight, ammo, binoculars, knife, water bottle, rifle and a revolver. The revolver will be in a chest rig. The rifle will be on a sling. My questions are;

1. What type of pack do you all recommend for the extra gear? Fanny pack? Back pack or something else?

2. Am I taking to much/not enough in?

3. Can you all offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any education you all can offer.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 AM
Spike

Is this your first time there? You don't mention where you are from, is this a guided or self hunt? Are you going to plan a tree stand hunt or ground setup? If you are going guided I am sure your pro can and would appreciate helping you with a prep list and advice. Remember the only dumb question is the one unasked. Be safe and double safe, those things have canines and claws!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Spike

I am from Ohio. This will be my first time in Maine. It is a guided hunt. Tree stands are an hour from camp and you are out in your stand alone. I am looking forward to this like you wouldn't believe. 4 of us are going together we have been counting down days like kids for Christmas. I am trying to gain any advice that I can get.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Lew.45
I am from Ohio. This will be my first time in Maine. It is a guided hunt. Tree stands are an hour from camp and you are out in your stand alone. I am looking forward to this like you wouldn't believe. 4 of us are going together we have been counting down days like kids for Christmas. I am trying to gain any advice that I can get.
Having hunted them twice now in Nova Scotia, I'm no expert, but I hunted from a ground blind both times, I only took my rifle, 6 rounds of ammo, water, snacks, flashlight and a camera.

Have fun
Old 04-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Spike

I just got one of these from Amazon. I love it. I took my tool belt, removed all the pouches, and clipped this to it with Alice clips. It also came with a shoulder strap. I don't know how many CCs it is, but I have enough room for shells, turkey calls, permit, license, and ID, a knife, and so on. There is a larger version as well but I think you will have to get it from Galaxy Surplus or US Cav.

Amazon has several different butt pack styles, and they all would probably work.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Spike

Oh, I wanted to add:

I've used a backpack with a rifle sling and it bugs me. If I need more room I'll get a bigger butt pack before I carry a backpack. But since you're not camping you don't need a bunch of stuff anyway. What doesn't fit in the butt pack might fit in your pockets.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, no orders issued

There's no marching orders issued for hunters, but I noticed as I got older, the more I carried. A lot depends on whether you hunt with others nearby or hunt alone.
As you age you remember clearly the times you really needed that sweater in the backpack, or a rain jacket, or some fire starter, or a good compass, or anything needed for an unexpected night in the woods.
Nothing ever happened to a newbie, so less is needed. And it's hard to overcome that reality.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Spike

Take a military style mosquito head net for a back up, also I duct tape around my wrist to keep the black flies out
Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fall restraint harness.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Spike

Default Safety! Safety!

I hear that Mojotex! All treestand hunters should use a fall restraint harness! Other than that, sounds like you're good!