Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need Bino Recommendations

Old 09-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Spike

Default Need Bino Recommendations

Hi all,
I am looking to get a pair of Bino' s to take deer hunting with me. Here is some background info to help your suggestions. I bowhunt a piece of woods adjacent to farmland in Il. I would like them to be somewhat small so I can glass with them, but not have them in the way when I shoot. I have tried those little pocket ones, but they are useless to me. I would also like to keep the costs down since I dont have alot of money to spend. Thanks for your help.

Scott
Old 09-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Spike

Default RE: Need Bino Recommendations

bassn,
Unless you' re involved in trophy hunts where you need to check out trophy game potential at long distances, you don' t have to worry about having enough money to buy the Swarovski' s or Zeiss' , etc. For most hunting applications you need to consider how well they work in low-light conditions (dawn/dusk). The factor governing this is known as the exit pupil (a number that is arrived at from dividing the objective lens [second number] by the magnification [first number] e.g. 8x40=exit pupil number of 5. For hunting purposes an exit pupil of 3 or higher is recommended. The other things you want to look for is multi-lense coatings and the weather-resistance/waterproof and anit-fogging capabilities (nitrogen filled binocs don' t fog). As for easy access and keeping them out of the way of that final shot, try purchasing a bino strap or harness that keeps them tight to your chest by the use of elastic straps. (they do work). You might want to check out www.sportsmansguide.com, sometimes they have some quality optics (such as the Brunton line) for a good price. Good luck in your search.....hope this info helps in your decision.........