Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Two way radio

Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Spike

Default Two way radio

Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of decent two way radio's. This year my son and I will be hunting on a lease so when we are in seperate stands I'd like a pair of two way radios to keep in contact. Can't text with cell phones, no cell service where we will be. Most of the time we'd be less than half a mile apart. Wanting to stay under $100 for the pair. I've been looking and see a lot of different ones out there but have no idea what's good and what's not. Which ones are the best value in that price range? Anybody have any exp with these? Thanks.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

For under $100 most should suit you fine.
Personally I prefer a brand that makes radios like motorola or cobra, as opposed to one where they add radios but don't have a history in it.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

You cant go wrong with Midlands. Ive got multiple pairs w/ headsets. I originally bought them to play Airsoft w/ my sons, but we use them while hiking, scouting, hunting, etc. The headsets are a must if you plan on being quiet in the woods, plus they make ya look cool, like Secret Service. 8)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Refuse to use them, not a fan. That said Motorola or Midland if I had to choose in that order.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have two basic choices - Family Radio Service (FRS) or General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) when it comes to easily portable hand held radios. Both are "line of sight" ... which means terrain, trees, curvature of the earth, heavy rainfall, and even your body can attenuate the srength of the signal that reaches the receiving unit. Also electromagnetic disturbances such as GMD and lightning can reak havoc with the signal.

The FRS units are restricted to 0.5 watt out put. The FMRS units can operate up to 50 watts, with most hand held units operating with a signal strength of 1 - 3 watts. This additional power out put is a tremendous advantage in distance capability.

The "high powered" FRS units are usually rated 20 miles plus, which in my experience this is mythical in actual field conditions. The price of the FRS sets is usually 1/3 or less than a quality GMRS set, and does not require a license. License for the GMRS is something like $75 - $85.

In my opinion if you ever expect to need to communuicate in the field across a distance of 3-10 miles, the GMRS unit is the clear choice. Its only money after all!

If you are talking 1/2 - 1 mile or so, a good quality FRS set will do just fine. Motorola, Cobra, Midland ... all good.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Spike

we cant use radios in PA to chat about game movement. it's an unfair advantage ( as though a savage .308 w/Leupold is not).
Old 11-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Spike

Default 2 way radio

I recently baught some radios for my son and I in the woods. now the distance that is advertised hardly ever works out but normally your out of site from one another but really not that far away so why you would need 20 miles im not real sure. I went with a 14 mile range and it seems to do me just fine. http://www.12volt-travel.com/two-way...dios-c-30.html Check this place out they can always answer any quetions you may have. I always do the research through forums but I also call some different dealers before i purchase to make sure what im reading is the truth.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 AM
Spike

I bought the Midland Camo 1050's. The auto squelch is so loud, we never used them. I returned them as soon as I go home. Thank god for texting.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few additional comments .... as "PSE MAN", in every state where I have hunted using any sort of electonic communication for directing hunting activities is not legal.

We use our GMRS's to check up on each other, communicate the need for help, info about when we are headed in, etc. As for the loud "squelch" and other unintended (and unwanted)noise sources associated with the use of hand helds, many come with the ability to disable these functions. Some do not.

The use of "Smart Phones" is a great help too, and I use mine often. However, service in wilderness areas is often spotty at best.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:07 AM
Spike

I prefer to go for Motorolla MR350R or MH230R from my experience, these radio sets are powerful for communicating in woods or city. Also, they are budget friendly. You can continue talking by keeping your radio in your pocket. Another thing is they are waterproof. You can check this article for full review: http://trollingpowersolution.com/bes...radio-reviews/