Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New Treestand

Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Spike

Default New Treestand

I am in the market for a new ladder stand and need some opinions on stands. I was looking at the Muddy Archer stand and Summit Single Shot stands. They both look like good stands but I can't decide. The Archer stand has a small ladder and I'm a decent sized guy.I weigh about 200lbs and 6ft tall. So, I don't know about the small ladder. The Summit stand looks like a good stand as well but the seat has rails underneath so comfort may not be so well. I also want a safe stand. If anyone has any suggestions about a good ladder stand please let me know.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I'm only 15lbs lighter and have never had an issue with lite ladders. I like 20' models with arm rests. I like to hang my pack off them on one side and my canteen off the other. I also, regardless of brand, use an extra seat cushion. Makes long sits more comfortable.

Good luck on your search.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remember tree stands. . .

are not for everyone. And not every hunter is a highly skilled tree climber or can become one. And not everyone can do a pirouette on a small platform, twenty feet off the ground.

I have a climbing tree stand; avoided tree stands that are stationary in one place. Never had the skill to pick one place for much of a season, over all other choices.

I got use to heights, but I never stood on the edge of a roof. The roof yes, but not the edge.
I avoided the tree stand that was open like an open swimming diving board. People don't stand for long on a swimming diving board. I never wanted to constantly think everytime exactly where I was. I always had a metal guard, so I didn't take an unexpected swan dive.

When you climb up or down a tree stand, that should be the only task on your mind. And as I did, getting in non-hunting practice is good. Earlier I got some practice, cleaning out the rain gutters on the house. Without balance, a climbing ladder can kill or injure you real fast.
Non ladder climbers need not apply. One should learn ones skill level, and how quickly you can learn it. They don't do many recalls on swan dives.

Last edited by Valentine; 01-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Spike

A-ghost, I did a lot of apples to apples when I decided to go with a ladder stand myself. Definately a lot of mfgs out there with pricing $69(very wobbly) to a few hundred dollars. My first tree stand was and is a Summit Single Shot "Magnum" which is advertised as a "man and a half" stand. I am 5' 11" 235 and this stand is the sturdiest one I could find. Nice and roomy, I like it well enough that I purchased another Summit "Magnum" and their "Summit Double Barrel" two man stand. I don't believe any other mfg builds a ladder stand as stout as Summit.

I purchased a "The Chameleon Blind" by Cooper Hunting that is waterproof and it totally encloses my stand. Of course all of this is my opinion and I have to stick to my guns and arrows. www.cooperhunting.com

Last edited by js7924; 01-04-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Spike

How comfortable is the Single Shot stands. Good enough for an all day sit.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Spike

Like I stated, I can't answer about comfortability with a "Single Shot" since my stands are larger(wider on the seat). The longest I sat in my "Single Shot Magnums" has been about 6 1/2 hrs. Definately a lot more comfy than flying on an airplane for sure. The factory cushion is not too bad, but after about 4hrs it starts to feel a little thin on the rear. I added about another 1 1/2 padding and I have greatly improved the ability to sit for the six plus hours. Best of luck in your decision
Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

I have been switching my ladders over to the 2 Man ladders with the rail bar. I can hang some camo around the whole thing and it gives you a little more freedom to move around for those all day sits. Would have to agree with the double seat cushion!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Spike

Check this one out ( treeline Treestands facebook page) Made in usa too
Old 01-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by btnovotny
I have been switching my ladders over to the 2 Man ladders with the rail bar. I can hang some camo around the whole thing and it gives you a little more freedom to move around for those all day sits. Would have to agree with the double seat cushion!
X2.....Plenty space