Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV/UTV vs. Jeep vs. Truck

Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Co73pmN9ns

they are out there every day, rain or shine. dozens parked in town. as a matter of fact, some people here use them as their primary vehicle. they don't even use their cars unless they are going shopping or something.

if you look in the video, the local roads have blue hatfield mccoy logo's painted on them.
you can ride on any of them. it is perfectly legal...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/atta...1&d=1406576437
Attached Thumbnails ATV/UTV vs. Jeep vs. Truck-images.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Municipalities can have special rules within their jurisdiction, but only within their jurisdiction. Just because you can do something in certain situations does not make it "perfectly legal" in all instances. Lack of law enforcement (apparently all too common in Mingo, Logan, etc.) does not mean that the state statute is invalid.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

yes, it's legal here. on most local roads, with a trail stamp and a helmet.
the state made the special rules, and probably paid for the signs with a grant.
you can ride right through all the local towns, all day long!!!
they have to have gas... right?

"Lack of law enforcement (apparently all too common in Mingo, Logan, etc.)"

was that some sort of insult??? why don't you like mingo county??? we wuv you... lol
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by leo new
i'm just kidding with you, don't get mad

my truck said he would be on his best behavior, while your little girly truck was around.
mad heck I'm far from it. My girly truck is ready to take yer man truck on a tight trail ride. Let me know when he's ready.

Point being different vehicles are better suited for and can handle varying trails/conditions.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had them all mentioned (well not Toyota's but) had 2 Nissan frontiers, a GMC 2500 (single cab), an '84 cj8, a Yamaha 660 grizzley, a Kawasaki terryx, the Kawasaki wins hands down, no comparison. on a 4x4 trail the jeep was hard to beat, did ok on trails that would have beat the nissans to pieces.
RR
Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by leo new
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Co73pmN9ns

they are out there every day, rain or shine. dozens parked in town. as a matter of fact, some people here use them as their primary vehicle. they don't even use their cars unless they are going shopping or something.

if you look in the video, the local roads have blue hatfield mccoy logo's painted on them.
you can ride on any of them. it is perfectly legal...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/atta...1&d=1406576437
In the state of wv, it is only legal to run atv's on hardcapped roads if they are unmarked, if they have painted lines on them your not allowed there, what you got local ordanances that override state law?
RR
Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Not legal in all situations. Excerpts from the governing WV law are:

West Virginia Statute

§17F-1-1. Acts prohibited by operator; penalties for violations.
(a) No all-terrain vehicle may be operated in this state:
(8) Unless operating in compliance with the provisions of section two of this article.
(b) An all-terrain vehicle may, for the sole purpose of getting from one trail, field or area of operation to another, be operated upon the shoulder of any road, street or highway referred to in subdivision (2), subsection (a) of this section, other than an interstate highway, for a distance not to exceed ten miles, if:
(1) The vehicle is operated at speeds of twenty-five miles per hour or less; and
(2) The vehicle is operated at any time from sunset to sunrise, the all-terrain vehicle must be equipped with headlights and taillights which must be illuminated.

This is the actual law that applies to paved roads with a centerline.
also if you cross the road you must do so at a 90 degree angle,(this is for farmers engaged in agricultural activities who own landon both sides of a secondary marked highway) as far as running on the shoulder, if you come to a bridge with no shoulder and cross the white line you are in violation, I have been pulled over in a Kubota RTV 900 for crossing the white line going around a bridge
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 08-02-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
My girly truck is ready to take yer man truck on a tight trail ride. Let me know when he's ready.

Point being different vehicles are better suited for and can handle varying trails/conditions.
leo....

That's what I thought.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

oh sorry, yeah, i'm ready...
bring your tent and stuff, we'll make a hunting trip of it.
or bring your atv, and you can get a hotel in town. lol
Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

fine...
i looked up the local ordinance for riding atv's on designated roads within the city of williamson. it's been in effect since 2005, most local town have one like it.
it is for designated roads only, designated by HM logo's. "most" of the local roads have a HM logo painted on them. no, you can't just jump on 4 lane highways...
it is not just lawlessness being overlooked by local police, it's a local exception to state law...

if you think about it, there really is no alternative. you can't just leave riders in the woods to die, right??? they have to have gas, food, and occasionally parts too.
pike county ky has one just for their local atv dealers' repair shops. i don't think they even have trail heads there(that i know of).

https://www.trailsheaven.com/shared/...vordinance.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.