Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV/UTV vs. Jeep vs. Truck

Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by leo new
Silverado King Cab 4x4... it's the only way to go!
Maybe for your situation, but too large for many trails in my neck of the woods as well as others.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
This is my 1994 Toyota 4 banger pickup:

Lock Right lockers.
Demountable 6,000 pound winch.
Headers and catback system.
Line-X bed liner.
Tweaked engine control module.

Nice Taco!
Mine is slightly lifted , bigger tires , underbody skids , frame welded rock sliders and a middle aged driver that knows how to approach situations that gets younger wheelers stuck.

It goes where my Longbed 4x4 Double Cab Tundra doesn't dare.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Maybe for your situation, but too large for many trails in my neck of the woods as well as others.
not at all my friend, you just drive OVER the trees. up one side and down the other. lol
snatch a squirrel or two for lunch as you pass through the limbs...

jokes aside, i always walk the little trails before i take my truck in. or just bring a mountain bike during the off season. loads of fun.
we have the hatfield mccoy trail system running all through the area, jump off on any one of thousands of little side trails. i even bought a trail sticker for my truck. just in case...
Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

not at all my friend,
So you can take yer King Cab Silverado 4x4 where I can take my 4x4 Tacoma?

Bull

That's like me saying Ican take my Dbl cab 4x4 Tundra the same place I can take my Taco.

Bull
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tundra10
So you can take yer King Cab Silverado 4x4 where I can take my 4x4 Tacoma?

Bull

That's like me saying Ican take my Dbl cab 4x4 Tundra the same place I can take my Taco.

Bull
easy big guy, i didn't mention your tacoma at all. i'm not really driving up and down trees or snatching squirrels from limbs and eating them either.

and yes, a silverado could easily drag a tacoma away, sideways... and then do things to it in the woods that we dare not speak of...

i'm just kidding with you, don't get mad

my truck said he would be on his best behavior, while your little girly truck was around.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I like. It won't go everywhere a fourwheeler will go, but can't hop on the highway with a fourwheeler either. I also like to wheel my jeep outside of hunting. Buy both. You "Need" both.
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails ATV/UTV vs. Jeep vs. Truck-1000826_10201597473163149_589653519_n.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

It's also "camouflage"
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails ATV/UTV vs. Jeep vs. Truck-gc1.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

you can ride atv's on the roads here, the hatfield mccoy trail system runs all through the area. it's perfectly legal, as long as you have a trail sticker and a helmet.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think anything is even close to a simple ATV for hunting timber as far as just getting the job done.

I guess the terrain in your area is a major factor. I have access to a couple Polaris rangers and Toyotas and they simply won't reasonably fit where I end up having to go to often.

The ranger will fit but its more trouble than its worth.

I can pretty much always pull my atv right up to the animal and that has not been the case with anything else.....which is unfortunate because the comfort of a UTV sure is nice.

To many times we have negotiated our way through thick timber in that ranger for 45 minutes to get within 50 yards of the animal when I could drive my 4 wheeler right to it and have it loaded and out in 15

I guess it also depends on your purpose/situation. I hunt alone most of the time and do everything on foot besides retrieve downed animals and in my terrain nothing will touch a 4 wheeler for my needs.

Last edited by rockport; 07-28-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can ride atv's on the roads here, the hatfield mccoy trail system runs all through the area. it's perfectly legal, as long as you have a trail sticker and a helmet.
Not legal in all situations. Excerpts from the governing WV law are:

West Virginia Statute

§17F-1-1. Acts prohibited by operator; penalties for violations.
(a) No all-terrain vehicle may be operated in this state:
(8) Unless operating in compliance with the provisions of section two of this article.
(b) An all-terrain vehicle may, for the sole purpose of getting from one trail, field or area of operation to another, be operated upon the shoulder of any road, street or highway referred to in subdivision (2), subsection (a) of this section, other than an interstate highway, for a distance not to exceed ten miles, if:
(1) The vehicle is operated at speeds of twenty-five miles per hour or less; and
(2) The vehicle is operated at any time from sunset to sunrise, the all-terrain vehicle must be equipped with headlights and taillights which must be illuminated.

This is the actual law that applies to paved roads with a centerline.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 07-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.