Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Flashlight(s)

Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Spike

Default Flashlight(s)

Ive been on the hunt for a good light for hunting,fishing and everywhere in between. ive been looking a streamlight because they have nice prices but surfire seems to have better lights? Looking for quality for around $50. i am looking for a light with a good beam but good battery life. i appreciate the help.

Thanks, M.D.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hand held or "head light", I do like the Stream Light line. The Stream Light specs will help you with the battery life issue. In general I do not need a powerful lumen to get into and out of the woods. So I use a relatively low light head strap light, and pack a few AA batteries just in case. Helps keep my hands free when night fishing as well.

I did buy Stream Light's HD rechargable lantern because of my experience with them here I work. These are superb for searching in the dark for downed game, have a long battery life, and are ideal for emergency use.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Fork Horn

Like Mojo stated, a good headlamp would probably serve you well and falls within your $50 budget. The problem with Surefire is that the batteries must be bought in bulk. Otherwise its $8+ for a set of batteries that might last an hour or so of use. While I was stationed in Haiti, supply was clearing out their invetory and gave me a big box of those cr123 battieries. I would like to buy a Streamlight Sidewinder. Bass pro carries it for $70. This is more than your stated amount but the cost of AAs vs cr123 would save you money in the long run.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Coast LED flashlight and headlamp and I am happy with both. The headlamp can dial up or down in brightness. They have a version of the same headlamp that you can focus the beam with too. I got a $15 set of 3 watt LED flashlights at Sams Club that when they work they are awesome. But I had problems with the switch and now I don't trust them.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Spike

I have a hand cranked flashlight that I love. I never runs out batteries. Just crank it up again. Lots of manufactures out there.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Spike

Streamlights are nice for a hand held , I actually got one off the tool truck that stops by my work that was in their monthly flyer pretty cheap. I dont know if you can get one from their website or not but you can check it out for yourself www.cornwelltools.com . As for a head light I like the energizer hat lights. They are cheap which is nice if you loose them alot . I loose mine quiet often.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Spike

Grander Mountain has a branded flash light that is really good and a decent price. Its led and the brightest darn flashlight i have sever seen in that price range.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Spike

I got a flashlight from legendary whitetails and it's awesome! Can be used with 3 AAA's or the included rechargeable lithium ion battery. Has home and auto chargers. 2 brightness modes 80 or 120 lumens. Works great. Check it out at deergear.com. I think it was around 60 bucks.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Another option to look at is Bushnells line of flashlights. I have had one for a few years, and I believe they are now down to the $30-40 at our local bushnell store. I think I put one set of batteries in ever yeasr that I have had it. Side by side comparison to a SUrefure Z2 its really close to the same brightness. It also has multi level brightness seting with a pulse and SOS flash which is great for signaling.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Spike

I have had the same questions and quests....which is better...head lamp or hand held.
I jumped in and bought a Fenix H-21. At 97-100 lumens it's great. They come with a flip-up defuser(actually its a slip-on). The lamp with the defuser down is great big lit area without the single spot or beam. 100 lumens on high lights up quite a walk path. With the defuser flipped up , there's another story. The beam is awesome ! Easilly 100 yrds identifiable targets(people,paths,edge of road,etc). More distance is in specs but I have never had the need for anything over 100 yds, and that was only to see where the dog ran away to and what it was chasing. I bought also a Fenix E-21 hand held...max @ 154 lumens. This I put under the barrel of my shotgun. Porkys are hard enough to see at 11:00 night with the dog running them thru the brush. I have no problem seeing them/shooting them with real accuracy from light.
Realistically, I would recommend investing in a good battery charger with AC & DC adapter. NimH batterys will come into store sales more often than lithium and they are to be trusted. I went with the Radio Shack type (34.99)that holds up to 12 batteries at once but will also charge AA, AAA, Square, C cells at the same time. Spend your money just once that way. IMO !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.