Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Is camo a must for deer hunting? >

Is camo a must for deer hunting?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Is camo a must for deer hunting?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Spike

Default Is camo a must for deer hunting?

This is my first deer season and don't have camo from bird hunting and was wondering if i have to have camo because that stuff is a little pricey. could i just wear brown carhartts?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

camo is not a must,
but helps, main point of camo is to break up your pattern,
dont have to buy high end camo,
military surplus camo works fine, its what i used for years,
what you want to avoid is having solid blocks of 1 color
whether its solid pants or jacket.
solid brown or green jacket will stand out to a deer more so than a hunters orange jacket with some sort of pattern on it,
Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Angry brown carharts will get you killed

I hope you were kidding about wearing brown afield !

Some yahoo will cut you down and swear you were a deer.

VERY LEAST WEAR ORANGE...ALOT TOO.

You may want to do some more research on hunting or team up with a veteran hunter.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default No, there's a photographer in the family. . . .

who gets a lot of ground deer photos, without ever wearing camo.

Of course, I did get her to launder her cloths in baking soda and borax, and avoid that smelly commercial laundry detergent.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't need it in the truck, only if you get out of the truck. LOL

Remaining motionless is still the best "camo" !
Old 09-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely not. If it were, from about 1962 until about 1975 I would have struggled to take deer. I do go the cammo route. Like a zillion others, I try to look like the surrounding stuff. During gun season, I always wear a full upper body hunter-orange vest anyway. Supposedly deer do not see colors anyway, but I sure as heck am not going to the woods in some goofy colored get up just to test it out !

I do think that wearing clothes that are in woodsy colors helps a lot. Might allow you to get away with a little movement. I would think that dark greens, browns, grays, woodsy plaids, etc. would all work great.

In my opinion, a key in not spooking close by deer is for the clothes to allow you to move with a minimum noise as much as it is to have the "perfect" cammo pattern. Wool - man made fleece - soft cotton all work great.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Spike

Default thanks for the suggestions

i am planning on wearing some blaze because yes, there are some idiots out there lol because i have plenty of it but i think i will try and get some kind of camo.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Spike

Fred Bear, Jack OConner, and a lot of other hunters from an earlier era never knew what camo was. They also knew what hunting was, and they killed a lot of animals.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Spike

According to all evidence, deer do not see color. Most camo is based upon human perception of color.

Yes, breaking up your pattern is helpful, but I'm sure you'll get dozens of stories of people who had a deer within 20' staring at him or her without camo (I have a couple, deer and elk). Most important is using the wind. After that breaking up your form is a bit helpful (camo). But it's not necessary. Good outdoor clothing that is comfortable is a better investment than cotton camouflage.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Spike

Definitely not a requirement. The only reason most of my hunting clothing is camo is because the brands I mostly buy that provide the features I want (lightweight, warm and waterproof) come mostly in camo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.