Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent Free Wash Question

Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Spike

Default Scent Free Wash Question

What all should be washed in scent free clothing wash? I understand that shirts, pants, socks, and such should be washed, but should wool gloves and hats be washed as well? I'm also planning on tossing my pack in because it reeks of vinyl. And specifically for my bow wielding friends... Should armguards and releases be washed in scent free soap as well?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

And your bow (fully rigged out) and your release and your boots and your belt and all of your arrows .... in the washing machine too. And don't forget to use scent free tooth paste ... and before I forget, don't poot in the stand. Not trying to go over board here ... do what you will, but remember that you will still not be undetectible to a deer's nose. Stay down wind if at all possible.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

In my opinion all the scent blockers and unscented soap and most everything else you think is designed to give you the edge, is really designed to line the pockets of the manufacture.

Scentless soap. How do you know its scentless? Just because you can't smell it? I've listened to amazing tales of how far away deer can scent you. You don't really think that so called scentless soap can't be smelled by deer just because you can't smell it! I believe the biggest edge any products like that give you is the belief you can't be smelled or that your scent is blocked or that you smell like what ever scent stuff you've bought.

Guy's may have been hunting for years before that stuff came out and always got their deer. After they got this or that wonder scent remover or maybe the one that makes you smell like a doe in heat, they still killed their deer. What has changed? A new product hit the market, jobs were created and guys bought this stuff believing they had an edge that I doubt ever existed in the first place.

The only reason man ever even took a bath before hunting is because his wife told him he smelled better and the deer didn't care.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Spike

Gee, some of you guys need to eat some fiber. Use the wind to your advantage, sure. There are those times when a shift of wind direction, or a deer coming from an unexpected direction blows your game plan. In these instances, every little bit helps and might give you that extra second or two to make the shot.

Tide has an unscented detergent that, also, contains no color (UV) enhancers. It's not marketed for hunters so, nobody's "lining their pockets" at your expense.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Don Fischer
In my opinion all the scent blockers and unscented soap and most everything else you think is designed to give you the edge, is really designed to line the pockets of the manufacture.
Exactly. I shower before every morning hunt. Have to to wake up The only scent product I use is the "scent away" spray earth scent. There are to many variables whether a deer will smell you or not. I kill deer every year and my routine doesn't change. I wash clothes in normal detergent, shower with soap and even put regular deodorant on. I spray all my gear with scent away before entering the woods and call it good. I'm sure there have been deer that have scented me without even me realizing it but it is what it is, still end up with meat in the freezer. I know guys that smoke cigarettes in the stand and still kill deer. All those scent free products are a waste of time and effort in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Save yourself a ton of money & use baking soda as a washing detergent.

Put a spoon full of baking soda & peroxide in a clean spray bottle, add water & you got scent away for the field.

Hunt a cross wind or the wind in your face.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

boy,taking showers in mornings .some are making their hunting very hard.
i just go hunting and 46 bucks and most with bow.
i do smoke my clothes once a week and my stand ,boots everything.i use pine needles/oak leaves.

thats it.i dont use any after shave or shaving cream ,anything that has stink.i wash my bed sheets etc in sscent free detergent during hunting season.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Never going to resolve this question

How many hunters are trained launderers anyways? Or even want to come close.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting clothes....

My hunting clothes/gear have never seen the inside of a house or cabin. I take a shower before each hunt w/ a baking soda /water solution. Why? Gotta wash your @#$% anyway (or may be some don't), so I might as well. I have a washer in my shop that has never seen any type of detergent only baking soda. I air dry them outdoors, pack them in vacuum bags. You gotta wash your clothes anyway so why not use baking soda. As for commercial products, they are all chemicals not native to the environment, been using baking soda since '69 and nothing else.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by On_Point
Save yourself a ton of money & use baking soda as a washing detergent.

Put a spoon full of baking soda & peroxide in a clean spray bottle, add water & you got scent away for the field.

Hunt a cross wind or the wind in your face.
This really work?? Would be alot cheaper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.