Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

wool Pants

Old 08-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default wool Pants

Anyone use Columbia Wool pants or bibbs.Cant afford the others.I been using mostly army surrplus.Want to hear some input.Thanks
Old 08-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wool Pants

I use both the pants and the bibs, they are tough, rough, but mostly they are warm.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Okay.....guys, go ahead and laugh but I do know my survival stuff well. [8D]

I have two pairs of AF survival wool pants....regardless of where they come from wool unlike cotton retains heat when wet! Do not underestimate wool as a survival fabric for infield clothes......... Regardless of all the Hi Tech BS we are taught now, and that we " Have" to have.....NOT!!

If hunting in high Mtn areas, or areas that the climate changes quickly wool will even wet, stay warm! This is old school but important....there are many " fleece" garmets out there that are perhaps better. However I guess although I have alot of this stuff and have tested it.....I still have to go with wool..... Old fashioned I suppose.

P.S If you are a climber...my suggestion is to check out some of the things in the new Patagonia Cat.....

Old 08-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you that not all wool is " created equal" .

As has been pointed out wool is a wonderful product, time tested, and proven over and over. I have wool pants from Filson that are forest green that I use with a camo cover. I also have Cabelas camo wool pants that are a blend. Both good products.

I have some bibs, coat, and shirt that are made by Columbia. They are only 65 % wool and are certainly warm but not of the same quality as Filson or the Cabelas blend. Of course they are cheaper too.

Not everybody can afford $300.00 for a pair of pants or $400.00+ for a jacket from Sleeping Indian or King of the Mountain.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen Columbia' s wool pants. I would check out the wool Malone pants by woolrich before you buy the columbia' s. You might like the woolrich better than the columbia? I have a pair of Filson that I have used for five years. They are starting to fall apart. I would not recommend Filson' s wool pants to anyone. They are over priced for there quality.
I am also in the market for wool pants. I will look at the columbia pants before I buy anything.

As a side note: Montana Woolen' s in Bozeman, Montana has the best prices I have found on wool clothes.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the Sportsmans Guide. I bought several pair of used but in great condition german military 100% wool pants and am 100% satisfied with them.
They even have a liner on the inside of the knee area so you wont get wet if you kneel.
They are VERY cheap, I think under $20 and IMHO are worth 5 times that amount.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

i own those woolrich washable type wool pants and shirts. they seem to take a beating and keep me warm but i always wondered what they blended to the wool to make them washable in a machine.