Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Mapping Software

Old 08-08-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Mapping Software

Whats your experiance with Topo 4.0 Delorme or the One that you can download arials, topo maps, ect.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mapping Software

my experience with delorome and a program called mapsend is that they both lack a lot of details. the best program i have found is on www.maptech.com. you can order CD' s for your state or where every you are going to hunt, install them in your computer and print out regular TOPO maps for just the area you need.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-08-2003, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: dperry

Whats your experiance with Topo 4.0 Delorme or the One that you can download arials, topo maps, ect.

Hey dperry: I have topo USA 4.0 and Mapsource topo latest version. I use these in conjunction with a Garmin etrex Vista GPS. They both work great although the topo detail is not as good as USGS data. They do tend to have a lot of roads and trails that are not on most maps. With the delorme there are some free down loads you can get. I got the USGS overlay for my hunting land and The satellite image as well. The delorme also does a great job with area calculations. I use this feature for timber cruising and soil mapping, but it would also be good for calculating food plot area.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:01 AM

I have the Topo USA Version 3, it works great, I really like the 3-D map and then rotating it to look at it from different angles.

One thing I wish I could find again, last year I found an internet site with topo mapping with aerial mapping. You could find what you wanted on topo then click up aerial and could zoom in to the degree on being able to see trails. It made me think that if an elk were standing in a meadow that you could see it. But for the life of me I cann' t find it again. Perhaps its a paid sight now, donn' t know. If someone knows of a sight like this let me know.
Thanks
David/Mo
Old 08-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Delorme 4.0. It is a useful tool for getting a 3-D lay of the land, but does have detail as other maps do. As a supplement to another maps is the way to use it. For a general topo, National Geographic Topo is the finest I have seen which is why a purchased it. They use the same info as the Trails Illustrated Maps, which are the best paper maps I have used or seen, even better than the 7.5 series from USGS.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:06 AM

I am a big Delorme fan and have dozens of their products but I did find a neat map site recently, Mytopo.com .
Old 08-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Mapcard. I guess it' s really not considered software but noneless it have aerial photos and topo maps of just about anywhere in the US. For $15 you have unlimited access to the maps, your given 5 map downloads to your computer. You have the ability to save the maps then draw trails, property lines, etc. and can also add notations to your maps. On top of that, mapcard gives you the option to order your maps from them. I have' nt done it but people that I have talked to are very satisfied with their service. I know they come laminated, but the cost is something like $10 I think. IMO that is pretty steep for a map, but if it help me arrow and big buck it' s worth it. There is also a $30 addition that adds a few features to the standard addition. Not too sure what they but you can check it out at www.mapcard.com
Old 08-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I also use Mapcard. For the price and the features, you can' t beat it.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

I' d have to agree with LeeinVa1 as I' ve got Terrain Navigator by Maptech and it is an excellent product. They also make hi-end products for Land/air/marine as well. A little pricey at about $89 or so per state (Amazon) but you get what you pay for...