Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
USEFUL???? iPhone applications for hunters >

USEFUL???? iPhone applications for hunters

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

USEFUL???? iPhone applications for hunters

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Spike

Default USEFUL???? iPhone applications for hunters

Fellow Outdoor enthusiasts,

I bought the new iphone and for the last few months I have been looking at applications for hunting. I have seen a few articles and postings online about hunting apps but I have to admit that I have been continually dissappointed on what is out there. Perhaps it is the fault of the itunes database that even when I search through specific catagories it seems I have to scroll through countless versions of shooting games before I find something of real use.

There are a lot of game calls but these are not only illegal to use but obviously useless in the field. BUT, Having said all that, there are some pretty cool applications for the outdoorsman and I would be interested to hear others thoughts on this subject.

I just downloaded something called Game Ranger and it is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. A simple to use rangefinder that lets the hunter pinch shoulder lines or big game silhouettes against the background to find distance. There are also hunting information applications about identifying tracks, legal information and even an SAS survival guide. There is an isolunar app that provides peak times to hunt and fish. Hunting bag allows you to keep track of your game tally.

But really, I think there is a lot more potential for this technology to provide some real utilities for us sportsmen in the field and besides games, calls and calendars, I think there is a lot of room for someone to create more useful and practical applications like the Game Ranger application I mentioned. Consider it a challenge...

If anyone knows of some USEFUL applications out there please let us all know!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Personally

I never carried a cell phone into the woods. Those things are just designed to start ringing just when the deer show up. Of course, I have to keep up with this stuff. You never know if you have to use those cell phone app carriers to move the deer to the quiet area where you are.

Deer: But momma, you mean we can figure out where the hunters are, by the cell phone apps they use.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, your legitimately asking what Iphone applications are useful for DEER HUNTING?...Leave your phone at home. The great thing about hunting is your away from those constant annoyances that are outside of the woods. Enjoy nature, sit back relax listen to natures music and look for your dream buck. Then use your iphone to send a picture of the big buck to your buddies.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

i have a blackberry and i downloaded google maps so i can bookmark all of my spots and have a satalite view of them as well as bookmark stands etc and there is a gps system on it too!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

There is a IPhone app where you type in your zip. and the date prior.
and it automaticly vibrates when hunting opens in the morning or when it closes at night.
ie (it would buzz you at 6:36 when hunting opens in your area and lets you know when it is light enough to legally shoot a animal)
I've heard it is very helpful when you dont quite know if that huge buck is legal to shoot.
But I dont know what this app is called sorry.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

I play Real Deer Hunter while I'm in the stand. Pretty fun.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Spike

Default Check out this app

My favorite iPhone hunting app so far is IHuntJournal.

You can record your hunts, trophies, and research all in one place very easily. You can even attach pictures from your trail cam or actual harvest. If you phone supports GPS, then your actual position is automatically added.

I have been in touch with the designer and the next version is coming out in early November which will add a full journal feature.

Check it out. I like it because I can keep a record of my hunting activity quite easily. It also helped me get out of the woods after dark last night when I got turned around in a swamp. I used the app to show me my location and then used the compass on my iPhone to walk out!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Spike

Gaia GPS uses topo maps and allows you to use your iPhone gps without having a cell connection. It's a decent backup to my primary gps.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Spike

Default DNR's New Mobile App for Outdoor Enthusiasts!

Attention all park-goers, hunters, anglers, boaters ─ anyone seeking outside adventure in Maryland: Warmer weather is right around the corner and if you live in and enjoy traveling to or around Maryland then you need to download (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/acce...22itunes_store) the FREE mobile phone app, AccessDNR, to get the most out of the State’s outdoors this year! Developed by The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the electronic government facilitator NIC, Marylanders citizens and visitors can now:
- find the closest State Park,
- look up the times of sunrise and sunset,
- and even know the tide schedule for a fishing trip—
it’s all right at your fingertips with AccessDNR. You can even use it to:
- identify fish and shellfish,
- double check fishing and boating regulation guides,
- personalize hunting and fishing catches by recording pictures in a “Trophy Case” to keep track of your successes, and even link them to social media like Twitter and /or Facebook to show family and friends!
Apple users, all you need to do to download is visit the App Store to the ball rolling on making the most of your outdoor experience this summer and all year round!
To get full disclosure on the AccessDNR mobile app, check out the official press release: http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2014/03...pp-for-that-2/
Old 03-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "OFF" button.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.