Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

lone wolf alpha hang on ?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 AM
byg
Spike

Default lone wolf alpha hang on ?

How many use the easy hang on hook? Whats the advantage /disavantage...better/worst for crooked trees Etc...Also,I know this may sound stupid, but which way when back packed is the right side up? I watched there videos, but it in the ads the stand is carried the opposite way, with the "v" in the platform up.The instructions for the supplied straps show it oposite, seat in the upper position. Maybe personel preference but I am curious.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 alpha hang ons and use the hooks when setting them in the tree. It allows you to essentially rest the treestand on the tree, keep your hands free to make the necessary adjustments to get the treestand properly set and safely. Just consider the hook and third hand. The hooks are useful and I would highly recommend using them.

The treestands themselves are designed to be used in a straight or somewhat crooked tree. Of course straight would be optimal but I have used them in a stand that normally wouldn't work with a climber style stand.

I pack my stand with the "V" up. If you fall backwards or slip packing it in and the "V" is down, you are more likely hurt yourself if you jab it against your leg. Your preference though. I pack my climbing sticks on the stand as designed and I have a motorcycle net that I use to help secure the sticks. The net is handing when packing additional clothing and other items in. I bought the nets at Wal-Mart. They have 6 hooks and are inexpensive.

Good luck with the stand. You will enjoy it.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 AM
byg
Spike

Thanks for the info, I like the net suggestion...Do you feel like the stand is as secure with the hooks as with the other bracket?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Fork Horn

byg

I must have misunderstood your original question in regards to the easy hang hooks. The easy hang hook is NOT designed to be the only strap to secure the stand to the tree. It should only be used in addition to the 2 straps that are on the riser between the stand platform and the seat. I am traveling the early part of this week and will post some picks to show you my stand set up from carrying to tree stand set up.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 AM
byg
Spike

Oh no....I understand you use the straps, I just heard it was more comfortable having those few inches away from the tree with the bracket versus the hanger. I am definetly thinking the hanger would make life easier when hanging it.Would like to see your pics.
Byg
Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

I always just use the easy hang hook and nothing else. Never had a problem.