Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Whats Is A Good GPS Unit

Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Spike

Default Whats Is A Good GPS Unit

I will be heading out west in October to Montana for an Elk trip. Wondering what your thoughts are for a good GPS Unit. I have looked on Cabelas and I was wondering about the Garmin Oregon, Garmin Colorado, are they any good? Also saw a Garmin Etrex which appears to be a little less money... do the 500 dollar ones do wonderful things worth spending the money on? Also, I was reading about a card which shows public BLM land and private land. Has anyone tried these cards or GPS units out? Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by batman0809; 09-02-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

I love my Garmin etrex. It's nothing fancy. I can waypoint my truck & just run the swamps all day, knowing that I can always find my way back. It won't download maps & such like more expensive ones will, but it always gets me where I need to be. Has way more features than I'll ever use. So I guess it depends on your personal needs. I will say the etrex is waterproof & reliable & simple to use if you never had a gps before. I have all my ladder stands & parking spots mapped out so I can slip into my stand in total darkness without flashlights, reflector tacks or ribbons. IMHO it's a great investment for your hunts & your safety. Like anything else - practice it a lot at home so you're not confused by it in the field.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and love it. The ones you mention are newer, touch screen versions but the eTrex series ain't bad. I can mark points like blinds, stands and my truck and get to them easily. They have lots of features so get something soon and learn how to use it.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Spike

On the E-Trex can you see what the elevation is? Does it show lakes, rivers, or would it show mountain roads?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Spike

I have a Garmin Rino 530
It is expensive but it does everything I like to have. I can pinpoint my buddies, who have it, on the map when we hunt out west together. weather radio, altimeter, load any maps, and GMRS radio.
As others have said..it all depends what you want to do.
I had an etrex and it was s good unit but I needed more. Cheaper in the long run to do it once. If you ever need more it will cost more to upgrade
Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Had 3 garmins all have been great. The one I use is the map76 CSX, it's been awesome. Nice size screen, waterproof, floats, easy to use, durable, locks on to sats quickly and good battery consumption.

In terms of roads, rivers, elvalation that is the topo maps you load onto the gps or card in the gps. You pick and choose what topo area maps you want to have in your gps, this will give you those things. In terms of roads only if they are marked, or unless you buy another program that is specific to that info and compatible with garmin. These are not like vehicle GPS who come with preloaded maps you need to purchase the TOPO's seperately
Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

I love my Garmin GPSMAP 60X. Does everything I need it to do and then some.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Spike

I have a Garmin 60CSX. It works great! I also believe you art talking about maps from www.huntinggpsmaps.com? If so you have found yourself a great map! I have the map they offer for a few states including MT. It shows all BLM land, State lands, National Forests, private lands and their land owners names, etc, etc. The MT map has really opened up my opportunities for accessing hunting land in MT, both private and public. Definately worth looking into. Good luck on your hunt for GPS/Maps/Elk

HuntinGuy
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Garmin 60csx is worth every penny. Has amazing reception even inside my brick house. Once i got a location lock on the 4th floor of a 6 story hotel. Load up some topo maps on it and u will be good to go. Btw, the color screen gps units actually have longer battery life than plain lcd screens.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check out the feed back on units. I remember reading before I bought my last one several people complaining about gps's out west. Whatever just make sure it's a high sensitive one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.